Sign in to follow this  
Johnkerry

Plastic in supercharger ?

Hi. As above really i took the intercooler pipe off of the supercharger and i found a thin strip of white plasic stuck in the supercharger outlet, im guessing it`s a Apex strip, If so my supercharger will have to be sent off for a re-build am i right ?

Blimey - yeah don't drive it or even start the engine... if the rest of the strip gets caught outside of the groove it's meant to sit in it could write off the scroll!

If it has done some damage don't panic as I heard BBM were looking at re-manufacturing some scrolls fairly soon

Well isnt that tipical :( im not sure how long the strip is ment to be but i have about 5inch of it , how likely is it that ive caused damage ive only done bout 2000 miles since ive had the car ? The person i brought the car from did say the charger had been serviced in 2006 but had no receipt the only reciept i can from in the box of paper work is from 2002 serviced at 79000miles by Jabba Sport. The car has now done 125000miles.

I think its properly going to cost me 80quid ish each way just for postage on the re-build. ill be sending it to G-Werks i have heard alot of good things about them.

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since i got it home the only time ive driven it with nothing going wrong was bring it home, im starting to think im cursed :bonk: :bonk: So far the cars cost me about 8 grand and i cant even drive it :( im guessing another grand before i get it back on the road.

That sounds like a complete nightmare mate :(

Once you've got that far into it there seems like no option than to keep going, although easier said than done! If the engine is really that troublesome maybe ditching it and sticking a 20vt in there would be worthwhile?

[attachmentIMG_0066.JPG[/attachment:2j3wh8m0]=3]IMG_0IMG_0057.JPG[/attachment]056.JPG[/attachment]

Hi, I contacted Gwerks today and they asked me to take some pics of the inside of my charger, when i got it open all looked ok apart from the end of one of the chanels the apex strip sits in is chiped off ( see pics ) is this enough to make the charger a right off ? also are the pics above what Gwerks are looking for if not what sort of angles ?

I dont want to do a turbo conversion i love the sound of the supercharger and when i finally get it going right ill have a :) from ear 2 ear just at the moment it feels like such a long way a way. If the charger is a right off i will be on the look out for a Screw charger if i can find one at a sensable price.

john

That's unlucky... the apex strips look fairly worn / shrunk so looks like it's overdue a rebuild.

Yan's charger was worn in the place where yours is chipped and Darren glued the strip into place, the problem you have is that there is nothing at the end to hold it in which is not ideal...

Anyhow - I'd wait until Darren has a look as he has more experience than anyone in the UK - be interesting to see what he thinks!

Im just about to forward the pics to Gwerks ill keep my fingers crossed.

Do you work for Gwerks i just wondered as it comes up underneith your posts ? They were very help ful today i cant remember the name of the fella i spoke to.

Thanks.

Oh no sorry...

I've been a customer since the PD Motorsport days and they have gone out of there way a few times to help me out so I like to give them a bit of free advertising in return as I don't think Darren really gets the time now to post on here.

Are you running a boost return deletion mod?

That charger looks very very dry inside.

I assumed he's cleaned it Yan but good point, deffo check the oil feed and return are not blocked.

That would be proper broken if they were knackered.

My point is that the boost return takes a feed from the cylinder head (oily block vapour) and uses this to lubricate the charger, not sure if this is by design or not, normal chargers are pretty oily when stripped; that one looks very dry and dusty.

I guess from that description the boost return pulls crankcase fumes out of the block (cause you certainly don't want to be pushing boost back into the crankcase)? If so, then it serves a dual purpose. 1) Lubes the scroll as you say, and 2) it sucks out the boost blow by, which helps pulls the piston rings onto the bores for a better seal. It's certainly better than venting to atmosphere, where you can actually get blowby backpressure occuring in the crankcase.

I can see this oiling up the throttle and intercooler though, which is why I guess some people delete the BR? Sorry, I know nowt about G60s, so that could all be a load of c0ck :D

which is why I guess some people delete the BR?

The benefit I noticed when getting rid of the boost return was the charger was noticeably cooler due to the lack of hot air being blown back through, but I couldn't hack the noise so stuck it back on :lol:

Blimey - yeah don't drive it or even start the engine... if the rest of the strip gets caught outside of the groove it's meant to sit in it could write off the scroll!

If it has done some damage don't panic as I heard BBM were looking at re-manufacturing some scrolls fairly soon

Do you know if they will be doing that for the 40's too?

As said the best place to send it is to G werkes. You could have been lucky but a mate had one do this on him recently and it killed the apex seal wall and put a crack down it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi John

The charger was fully rebuilt in June 2007, just before I took the car to Le Mans, mileage when it was done was around 121,000, charger was run in very carefully so it looks like a freak failure. JMR did the rebuild and I watched him do it, no way were any shortcuts done during the rebuild as I had no intention of selling the car at the time and I had just sold my spare charger so I had no backup

Thanks for that Andy, i knew you said it was serviced around about that time but couldnt find a reciept. I heard back from G-werks today and they said if the chip of the end is the only damage then they will be able to fix it, lucky enough my parents are going over to England on tuesday so they are going to take the charger over and post it over there and then when its done ill have it sent to the in-laws and my parents all pick it up and bring it back for me it should save me a couple of hundred quid :)

What postal company do you use to send your chargers ?

Hopefully it will do more then 5000 miles after this re-build, i might have to get rid off the boost re-turn delete if thats the effect it has on the charger its a shame cause i quite like the whistley whistley noises.