Sign in to follow this  
polus

VR6 Engine Weight

Hi everyone,

I’m pondering possible engines to transplant into an Elise S2. Most people use Honda Ks (From Type-Rs), Duratec 2.0l / 2.3l or Audi 1.8T to replace the K-series but I’m wondering about the (remote) possibility of a VR6. Obviously being an Elise, weight is important but the VR6 has the benefit of being designed for a 4 pot FWD engine bay which is exactly what the Elise requires. The BHP is around the same as the various 4 pots but it’s the sound that would seal the deal.

Q. I’ve tried looking for specs on Engine weight but they don’t seem forthcoming and if there are any great weight reductions to be had, which would be most useful. Obviously the Elise doesn’t have air conditioning or power steering so if there are any ancillaries of that nature, they can go :)

The orignal K-series engine is 130 kg (including gearbox).

Obviously the odds of this coming off are low, very low, but it would an interesting project if possible.

Do it do it do it!!!

Forget the weight factor and the fact that an unmolested one is hard to come by...an Elise with a 2.9 V6 would be sick! :clap:

The Corrado isnt exactly your std fwd car. Have you seen the size of the engine bay?

Think you may struggle getting a VR in a Elise, I would like to see it though!

If the 2.9 VR6 will go in, why not go for an R32? With a pair of cams you should have 300bhp!

Complete agree here. Sound interesting.