Sign in to follow this  
robster

Engine Noise

Hey all,

all suggestions welcome, its a good one i think so here goes.......

Corrado G60.

Symptoms: when engine is cold it sounds like there is an exhaust gasket gone, very loud and noisey, only gets a little quiter when warm but still VERY noticible. When driving you here it more under acceleration almost like a pinking as well.

I have replaced both intake and exhaust manifold gaskets as well as exhaust manifold and down pipe but still no joy. Loud when cold and noisy under acceleration. Its not a banging sound or anything like that but is noticible. I have had an exhaust leak test done and it was clear so not gaskets. I have had other people listen to and they would swear its an exhaust gasket possibly when the hood is closed. Noise also comes from rear of engine.

This may help with diagnosis for someone: Oil pressure switch went on previous owner and he kept filling it with oil unit it almost stopped on him or so i am lead to believe :shrug: Car drives fine, does not burn oil and pulls well since i have had it for the past 5 years. this noise has always been in it but now its either getting louder or i am getting more paranoid.

All sugestions welcome, am thinking sound is coming more from head since it sounds like a weird exhast blow .....

Help..

im no g60 expert but is the throttle recirculating valve open to atmosphere or run back to charger?

I would think so as i can feel it kick in when accelerator is pushed wide open. can feel it with engine not running anyway. Is this what you mean??

can you ellaborate on exactly how it sounds?

Listening to it more this morning when cold, its almost like a hollow sound coming from the rear of the engine, increases with revs until rev noise (car stationary) drowns it out but will stay there when being driven/under load. There is also a bit of clicking also but i have replaced injectors to try and get rid of this before thinking it was them :?

there's a pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold for "sniffing" the exhaust before the cat.... it runs to the left of the engine bay and then has a blue plastic cap/closed pipe to seal it off for when it's not in use...

check that:

1) the metal pipe is fitted properly to the back of the exhaust manifold and is in good condition

2) you have the blue cap

3) it's not got a hole in it ;)

Other than that, the only thing I can think of (if you're 100% sure it's not gaskets) is a hairline crack in the exhaust manifold which is letting the exhaust blow slightly... :shrug: