Sign in to follow this  
aide

Credit Crunched Corrado

right, despite hanging around here for years i've never actually started my own thread on any of the 16v's or the VR i've had - all of which are sadly long gone now, and as i didn't have access to a garage i've been forced to daydream only in recent years.......but that's all changed now :D

i haven't actually got my car yet but am on the lokout, so am only building the engine at present - so, this thread may be a bit boring to begin with :(

my proect day dreams were always to boost a 16v, but various things have put paid to that - credit crunch, wedding, other hobbies and to be honest i'm probably not capable of building that sort of motor at this stage, so plan is to completely rebuild a 16v aiming for good 16v power and then to save up money/ knowledge for the boost conversion in a few years with the base engine (exc compression!) already well built to handle it.

the plan is therefore fairly old skool at the moment :dorky:

- overbored and skimmed 9a 16v from 82.5mm to 83mm so into the 2ltr+cc territory

- using forged 12.3:1 high compression pistons

- kjet metering head from another marque/ model (to be revealed) capable of delivering more fuel as standard

- custom air box to throttle body inlet pipework

- gas flowed throttle body and 52mm inlet manifold

- mildly ported and polished 9a cylinder head

- rebuilt cylinder head using shorter valve guides, uprated springs and followers for higher revving

- modified exhaust cam as an inlet, with adjustable cam sprocket which will give higher lift

- four branch manifold

- knife edged crank and a *slightly* lightened flywheel

- am giving some consideration to a 30bhp shot of NOS too

- + all critical bits will be replaced - water pump, alternator, dizzy, leads etc

as i'll be increasing compression i'll be insulating the inlet pipework and underside of the manifold, and using a phelonic spacer and some home made air flow bonnet mods to keep the inlet temps as low as possible for a na motor...

not much point talking about the external/ internals yet suffice to say it will be lowered on coilies, arches rolled, debadged and detrimmed and anything that doesn't need to be inside will be replaced or stripped for lightness :D

so progress so far;

Nice idea to start with the engine first then get the car, always gives you a goal to aim for, although if your going turbo anyway soon, wouldn't it be better to leave the majority of the engine alone as you'll only have to redo another block for lower comp pistons (or stock 9A with stacked HGs) and lose other items such as the 4 branch and inlet manifold and TB. Just a thought, as its a credit crunch build, therefore avoiding twice the cost in rebuilding twice. Hope it go well though and all the best. :D

wouldn't it be better to leave the majority of the engine alone

cheers for comments and you're right, its just a matter of what i'm prepared to spend in one go - which i'd prefer to be a little at a time, this set up will cost me a couple of grand to do properly by myself whereas a proper boost would be at least twice that especally as i've always preferred the supercharged (lysholm) route so the four branch could remain, i also like the look of the 16v and although the inlet is a massive heat soak i'm trying to remedy that so it could be used with mild boost also

bottom line is its long term project, like i intend to keep the car for ever :D may be more expensive in the long run but i hopefully won't feel as guilty about doing it :D

totaly cleaned the block at the weekend and painted it matt black, and started to clean and gasflow the manifolds hope to get them finished and piccy's posted in a few weeks... :D

just used some high temperature paint from a motor store locally (halfords) tin of paint didn't say you had to prime, took a llllllloooooooooonnnnnnngggg time getting all the dirt out the nooks and cranny's though :D

just with a brush, it's a fairly watery paint so dries with no brush strokes

i'd be happy to stick some in the post if you can't find any locally there, it's a halfords own brand

Ok, thnx for the offer, I will check localy and see if I can find some similar........might get back to you on that offer though.....;)

not got as far as i'd hoped recently, but quick progress update

Manifolds

now cleaned and gasflowed, decided not to remove the cast marks all the way along length as it would have left a slight depression which i wasn't happy to do, i have removed some restrictions around the plenum, dont expect these will make any difference tbh!

also painted the manifolds and have put high temp reflective tape on the underside of the upper manifold.... i understand about boundary layers and the speed at which air will flow through the manifold so realise this is largely gimmicky - had the tape so did it anyway :dorky: also bought a 5mm sheet of white teflon, again a bit gimmicky but the teflon spacer will stop heat conducting from the head into the inlet.

Inlet Cam

modded an old exhaust cam for use as an inlet, just chopped of the end and scored a new timing mark, you can see the profile difference in the end on shot. may ultimately use shricks instead, not made mind up yet.

Cylinder Head

started smoothing the chambers, but only the surface imperfections as i don't want to remove too much material, photo comparrison shows where i've removed material from around the inlet & exhaust ports, moving onto runners next, busted knuckles time :D

last photo is of a TB/ manifold i bodged together years ago... this uses two large intake butterflys as opposed to one big and one small, it tries to emulate the very large single butterfly of the webber firebreath, the welding on that version deformed the TB to the point where i couldn't maintain idle so had to throw it, tempted to have another go at this... :nuts: