Sign in to follow this  
TimDoc

How to change the radiator??

Anyone tell me if there are any quick ways, or does the front bumper and upper piece need to come off????

Mid process so any speedy replies would be appreciated

Tim

Quick response - I think it's possible to do without removing the front end but imagine it's a fiddly job if so!

Taking the front end off is pretty easy and that's the way I did it on mine. Bumper is 4 bolts, lights pop and screw out, grill comes out dead easy, slam panel is about 10 - 15 screws and there's a few other minor clips and things (front edge of wheel arch lining perhaps ... but it was about 4 years ago that I did it so don't quote me on it!!).

tbh once you've done it once or twice it's only a 15-20 mins job to take the bumper/slam panel off - get stuck into it - you'll be glad you id if you're changing the rad. wouldn't fancy doing it with the front in-situ personally...

My brother and I changed my rad without taking the front bumper off, I can't quite remember how we did it but it was fiddly. Had to take the battery out and a few other hoses I think.

as above taking front of car off is quick and easy and good practice as it can make quite a few diy corrado jobs alot easier.

Makes a radiator change alot simpler.

attempting radiotor change tomorrow, i hope the bumper/slam panel removal is as 'easy' as you say :)

it is!

4 large bolts underneath the car (make sure you leave the smaller ones in between the two either side done up or the engine will drop on your head!) and about 10 bolts for the slam panel. the only other things you have to worry about are ancilliaries like bonnet release cable, headlights (don't necessarily need to come out) and grille.

let us know how you get on. once you get started it all becomes obvious and it's not all that difficult. it's worth getting hold of some new screws for the headlights from VW before you start if you're going to take them out!

You'll have to loosen the arch liners aswell so the bumper can slide off its all in the link above i posted mate!

I recently did this on mine with the help of the guides on this very forum. I'm no mechanic, but even I would say this is one of the easier jobs I've done on the Raddo.

Worth doing the front engine mount while you have the front apart aswell (if it needs doing that is!)