Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Operation weight save - lets all have a crack at it!

removed abs pump

Did you find that improved the brake pedal? I've been considering removing the ABS from mine because in 6 years, I've called upon it twice and secondly, the VR6 pedal is truly dreadful and I'm hoping binning off the ABS would sort that!!

Not really noticed a difference in pedal feel. To be honest i removed it 'cause it never worked and i kept putting new sensors on to no avail. Plus I fitted wheel bolts that were too long and bent the abs ring, doh! Also its a bit of an under bonnet decluttering excercise.

Bit of a thread resurrection, but...

Took some stuff out of the VR this weekend after fitting my new exhaust and realising quite how much the VW weighs!

Spare tyre & jack - 16.3kg

OEM exhaust - 20.8kg (assume Milltek weighs about 10kg)

Rear parcel shelf (with upgraded speakers) - 7.4kg

Front OEM seat - 16.9kg (Corbeau bucket 6.5kg plus subframe = c.10kg)

Obviously the replacements weigh something, but I had already installed them without weighing them first (doh)... but that's still taking well over 40kg out without much effort.

To come over the summer:

Odyssey PC680 battery (6.7kg vs 16kg stock)

Spal fan (1.5kg, vs ? stock fan plus cowling)

Rear seat lightening of some sort (still want to keep the ability to take a rear passenger)

Lightweight flywheel (c.5kg vs c.8kg stock, weight loss a side affect to polar inertia!)

Should be another 15kg minimum easily.

Spal fan (1.5kg, vs ? stock fan plus cowling)

Lightweight flywheel (c.5kg vs c.8kg stock, weight loss a side affect to polar inertia!)

The stock fan setup is heavy! I didn't weigh it when I removed mine but it felt 10Kgs ish....

The stock front seat is only 17Kg? They feel a lot heavier than that whilst removing it :lol:

Can't beat a bit of weight saving, a mate of mine and fellow Forum member dropped a 2.8 VR6 block into his 16v Rado and was running 15sec 1/4 miles dead, straight out the box, with no rev counter!!

Just go's to show what a few kg's off will get you, that's .3 quicker then VW's best with a 2.9 in a standard heavier VR

Rear seats out:

Bases: 1.65kg each (= 3.3kg)

Backs: 6kg and 9kg (= 15kg)

Hump: 1.2kg

So that's another 20kg bang on gone... Sitting pretty high at the back now though, especially with only a gallon or two of fuel left (saving another 35kg or so..!). So that's a total of almost 61kg saved for about £50. Happy days.

(saved 16.3kg on jack, 10kg on exhaust, 7.4kg on parcel shelf, 7kg on driver's seat, 20kg on rear seats)

Just got 188bhp on Surrey Rolling Road, so to mirror the previous working:

1240kg, 188bhp = 151.6 bhp/ton,

1175kg, 188bhp = 160 bhp/ton,

1240kg, 160 bhp/ton = would need 198.4bhp.

Rear seats out:

Bases: 1.65kg each (= 3.3kg)

Backs: 6kg and 9kg (= 15kg)

Hump: 1.2kg

So that's another 20kg bang on gone... Sitting pretty high at the back now though, especially with only a gallon or two of fuel left (saving another 35kg or so..!). So that's a total of almost 61kg saved for about £50. Happy days.

(saved 16.3kg on jack, 10kg on exhaust, 7.4kg on parcel shelf, 7kg on driver's seat, 20kg on rear seats)

Just got 188bhp on Surrey Rolling Road, so to mirror the previous working:

1240kg, 188bhp = 151.6 bhp/ton,

1175kg, 188bhp = 160 bhp/ton,

1240kg, 160 bhp/ton = would need 198.4bhp.

Sounds good, 61kg is a heck of a saving already, sounds like a little work needed on the front end though to even it up. 39kg can be had from the engine bay easily giving you a total saving of 100kg! Carbon cannister removal is free and easy but unfortunately only weighs 1kg, soundproofing weighs a little bit and does nothing to absorb sound, looks crappy too, lose that and with the fans and battery and it would pretty much do it.

Front seats weigh an absolute ton but its not that easy finding good subframes for lighter replacements

Where's 39kg of easily removable weight?! Carbon canister, battery, fan, and ?

Already had the carbon canister out, but replaced it at the weekend to see if smoothed the ever-so-slightly off idle it has at all (it didn't).

Where's 39kg of easily removable weight?! Carbon canister, battery, fan, and ?

Yeah sorry I've also got lightweight pullies and a CF bonnet which is a huge chunk off but I realise it's a costly option, maybe not that easily removable then, although those bits would be close, battery weighs a ton and is in the worst place for handling.

I went as far as taking off some engine lifting brackets and other little bits as they can be put back on easy enough, I put a plastic rocker on too which saves a touch and keeps the inlet mani a touch cooler. All adds up, easy to get carried away :)

Sorry to be boring, but this weight-saving malarky has some nice side benefits too: just managed 39.7mpg (on the OBC) for a 40 mile journey from Farnborough to Hounslow. Good traffic, relaxed speed and good luck with traffic lights helped!