Aw dude, my laughter is of the sympathetic variety.

When you get back I reckon I can get you sorted out with a set of new boots from Gregor. Shouldn't be too expensive to sort.

That's if you don't spend all your money on Cider and exotic chutneys...

cider and chutney's didn't come close to the petrol... 900 miles took about £150! forgot how thirsty she was! (heavy foot didn't help though!)

Was a great weekend and she didn't miss a beat! There was a little bother with a flat battery after I left the passenger light on in the car though! :bonk:

Met up with Kris on Sunday and we had lunch and a quick pootle round Fairford. Was great meeting up with a club member in my actual car!!! :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48957[/ATTACH]

Thing is... now I dunno what to do. What I SHOULD do is get her SORN and take out the charger ready to be serviced. There is a little to much oil in the breather pipe for my liking

but I dunno.. I wouldn't mind driving her around for a few weeks just to get used to her again. There's loads of silly little things I need to fix though...

90mm splitter is held on with cable ties

internal trim needs fixing and headlining needs cleaning and re-fitting

internal sunroof seal needs fitting

sunroof needs re-aligning

fuel filter leaks a very small amount (can smell fuel coming off it)

gear box oil still needs changing

My exhaust needs fixing better

need a new rear bumper iron

bonnet needs re-spraying (well... the whole car really!)

still have a broken bolt in the tensioner pulley bracket that needs tapping and replacing

New air filter

And thats just what I can think of.... I'm sure there's more.

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

So good to see your luck changing,i like everyone else who has read your thread,have enjoyed it immensely.

I bet you had a smile a mile wide when your right foot got heavy !

Get your charger sorted,everything else isnt as important,then enjoy it,

you deserve it

Disaster!!!!!

Was driving about and crashed the c! :(

Wasn't fast, just stupid... but was enough to brake the alloy, sump, power steering pump and front bumper. So gutted!

Sent from my iPhone you lemon!

This is what happens when you're thinking of dundee cake too much.

So are those the only parts you need? Can you use your spare instead of the alloy, and perhaps run without the PAS for the time being? I know I have!

Thanks for the kind words guys... was a very silly crash tbh and something that should have been avoided...

The story goes I took out a mate in the car for a spin late Saturday night, just around the local roads. He had a shot and parked up in a car park so I could swap over and drive him home. I jumped in the drivers seat, planted my foot on the gas and didn't realize that there was a kerb in front of me... (it was one of those kerbs they sometimes pop in car parks to stop folk driving though spaces). Was going around 15-20 mph and hit the kerb drivers side wheel first. The car took off and I landed straddling the kerb.

Took a look at the car Sunday morning after crying myself to sleep and now have an idea of what's going on....

1. The Alloy is f*cked... completely bent. I have a full size spare though and that's already on the car. The tyre had torn so that's scubbered too.
  2. Power steering pump took a whack. It still turns freely but now the belt barely touches the pulley.... must have bent the mounting bracket or something. It may be that i can just take it off and replace the mounting points?
  3. The sump is slightly crushed.. can't really dive the car until this has been changed in case the oil pick-up has been damaged. Will need a new one.
  4. Font bumper obviously took the brunt of the crash (the car now lowered by 30mm). The chin spoiler ripped off, the new rad support panel I fitted has bent up away from the chin spoiler and there is a few cracks along the under side of the bumper... will probably need to get a new one.
  5. The drivers side tracking arm is bent... looks like a chuffing bannana :( Will need a replacement. Has any one done this without removing the subframe?

And that's it... hooray for my stupidity! The money I was going to spend on servicing the charger will now go on fixing these broken things... :(

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

oohhh there is one more thing that worries me more than any of that though... on closing the drivers side door the door seal at the top no longer meets the body panel... there is now a very slight gap :cry:

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

gutted m8, iv come close to stupid things like that aswell but luckily iv been ok, yes you can replace the track rod without dropping the sub frame, you need to buy a track rod removal tool, or make one up, i think you could probably do it with the correct size crows foot spanner end with a socket extension,

I found a track rod removal tool at Halfords, it's called something weird like a Fan Bearing Spanner. All you need to make sure is that one end is 38mm (IIRC - probs worth checking size on my Plum thread / with someone else).

If the pump got hit hard then the pulley or shaft may be bent. The fact that it spins freely is a good sign though. Do you think its savable? You should be able to source one from a Mk2 golf as you're a 1991 boy.

I have an oil pump you can have, but it's a 16v one and IIRC it is spline drive off the aux shaft as opposed to the digi 8v one which is a slotted drive. Let me know, it's just sat in my boot at the mo.

Pretty sure you can take the track rods off without taking the subframe, but its fiddly and I think you'll need to pop out the driveshaft to get some space.

I have a rad support too, but it might be a mission to get it up to you.

I have a used but mint sump and brand new gasket for my old 8v golf.. I think it's the same? In fact I'm sure it is. If you're real lucky I may have a spare oil pump lying about. But you'd be surprised how damaged a sump can get and not touch the pump.. :p

It's just sat taking up precious space, so cover the cost of postage and I'll post it up. Can't get any fairer than that. I expect cuddles at the next national meet though! :camp:

I have a used but mint sump and brand new gasket for my old 8v golf.. I think it's the same? In fact I'm sure it is. If you're real lucky I may have a spare oil pump lying about. But you'd be surprised how damaged a sump can get and not touch the pump.. :p

It's just sat taking up precious space, so cover the cost of postage and I'll post it up. Can't get any fairer than that. I expect cuddles at the next national meet though! :camp:

you may just get more than a cuddle! :camp:

PM sent mate :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

I found a track rod removal tool at Halfords, it's called something weird like a Fan Bearing Spanner. All you need to make sure is that one end is 38mm (IIRC - probs worth checking size on my Plum thread / with someone else).

If the pump got hit hard then the pulley or shaft may be bent. The fact that it spins freely is a good sign though. Do you think its savable? You should be able to source one from a Mk2 golf as you're a 1991 boy.

I have an oil pump you can have, but it's a 16v one and IIRC it is spline drive off the aux shaft as opposed to the digi 8v one which is a slotted drive. Let me know, it's just sat in my boot at the mo.

Pretty sure you can take the track rods off without taking the subframe, but its fiddly and I think you'll need to pop out the driveshaft to get some space.

I have a rad support too, but it might be a mission to get it up to you.

You mentioned the rad panel before mate but the one I have isn't that fubard... it's just a little warped at the bottom, still sits ok. Also I think your rad panel being a golf one is slightly different.

I looked on ebay for a tool and their about £20 so i might just get one.

Does anyone know if the door no longer fitting snug is a huge problem?

Recently repaired a front end damaged mk3. Door sagged, new hinge and it's fine with a bit of adjustment. Do you have to lift the door at all to get it to shut?

Recently repaired a front end damaged mk3. Door sagged, new hinge and it's fine with a bit of adjustment. Do you have to lift the door at all to get it to shut?

it is only out by a very minor degree... it closes fine its just the door seal that doesn't quite touch the top of the door frame now.

it is only out by a very minor degree... it closes fine its just the door seal that doesn't quite touch the top of the door frame now.

Just loosen the hinge bolt on top and bottom of the door and it adjusts a bit.prob better to have someone help you as rado door weight a bit!!

Might be worth measuring the A to B pillar distance in the door opening, both at the top and bottom of the bulkhead on both passenger and driver side just to put your mind at ease.

I don't want to alarm, but you have to consider why the gap is there and what caused it.. It doesn't sound like it's out by much, but something has been pushed back a little somewhere.

i just spent most of my working day reading this whole thread....Alex....you are seriously DEDICATED!!!, many would have given up or looked for a new motor!! well done mate!

i just spent most of my working day reading this whole thread....Alex....you are seriously DEDICATED!!!, many would have given up or looked for a new motor!! well done mate!

ahh thanks mate, You know it's worth it when you step into the car for the first time after so long SORN. I can't wait to get her rolling again. Should be ready with some news in the next few weeks :D

Does anyone know if the door no longer fitting snug is a huge problem?

Yes, it's a massive problem. You've buckled the chassis and it's beyond redemption due to your idiocy. Give me £100 and i'll trailer it away for you...

Seriously though, you might get wind noise at speed. But as someone else has pointed out that there is adjustment in the hinge/ shims. I'll have nosey next time I'm in the 'hood if you like?

However, I would be wee bit concerned if the door aperture has changed shape as that would suggest that you have buckled it. I doubt you have, but then again I have seen you drive...

Yes, it's a massive problem. You've buckled the chassis and it's beyond redemption due to your idiocy. Give me £100 and i'll trailer it away for you...

Seriously though, you might get wind noise at speed. But as someone else has pointed out that there is adjustment in the hinge/ shims. I'll have nosey next time I'm in the 'hood if you like?

However, I would be wee bit concerned if the door aperture has changed shape as that would suggest that you have buckled it. I doubt you have, but then again I have seen you drive...

I'm surprised you managed to see me with the speed I passed you at! :lol:

Yeah... I don't think the door is THAT monkeyed... On closer inspection it looks like it may have just dropped a little. The big thing is the chassis twist would effect handling. I'll find that out when i get the tracking done next month...