Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

rear abs sensor

I got the orange light on constant after I smashed the sensor with my hammer. I know you can unscrew it from the stub but is there anywhere else from there back that I can remove so that I can swap with my other rado or replace with new? I assume its a electrical sensor? so is there a plug or something?

cheers again

The rear ABS sensors always seize in due to rust. 9 times in 10 they need to be whacked out from the disc side, which obviously needs the disc, carrier and caliper to be removed first.

Obviously this destroys the sensor so a new one (or good s/hand one) is needed. Not a cheap job!

I did notice last week when doing them on a friends' VR6 that VW have strengthened the sensors now, so won't fall apart so easily when removed. And note to VW - a dab of copper grease would have prevented the seizing in the first place!

There's a plug under the rear seat and that's it. From there it's a long peice of wire that comes through the floor and along the trailing arm.

cheers guys.. how much new are they? So under the seat is the socket, I thought so because I saw some foam under car when I pulled out the bung

they cost about £60 new from partco and other similar type places as far as i remember.

also (dunno about genuine ones) the ones i got had plastic sheaths rather than the metal ones like the originals that came out.

still worth putting copper grease on them before fitting them though.

another thing it's worth doing is giving the actual hole in the stub axle a really good clean before putting the new ones in. the only other thing you might want to consider while you're there is new abs rings - they just push onto the backs of the discs and are pretty cheap to pick up.

basically the way the abs system works is by sensing when a wheel stops turning while you're braking. (when this happens it obviously cuts the braking power etc - but that's going off on a tangent).

the reason the abs ring is there is to allow the abs sensor to tell whether or not the wheel is still turning, and hence to cut or not cut the braking power to that wheel in order to stabilise the car.

here's a pic of an abs ring, which will hopefully make things a bit clearer:

ABS%20Speed%20Ring%20-%20Priced%20Each.jpg

the slotted cut outs are there to tell the sensor (via magnetism i think) whether or not thewheel is still turning or not...

thats inside the disk?

Also how do you get off that cover over the stub axle bolts? At the moment I dont have splash plates nor those covers as they broke. should buy all new I suppose

its worth getting new splash plates.

by cover, i take it you mean the mittle mtal ring that sit up againt the seal on the outside of the bearing?

you can get it off with a puller; i think the general consensus on here is just to discard it. as long as your seal is in good nick, then the splash guard should be all the protection you need.

and yes - that's all on the inside of the disc and you need to take the disc off to gain access...