Sign in to follow this  
borarob

removing instrument cluster

car is 1.8 valver so early clocks

and yes I have done a search :D

I've removed all the screws (6 in total) and have a loose cluster in the dash - my problem is how do I actually get the bloomin thing out! I 'unhook' the bottom legs first and can tip the top of the cluster foward a bit but there is no way that the cluster is coming out of the dash. As far as I can see anyway!

what am i missing - whats the trick to this! All posts I've read about this make out that removing the cluster is fairly straight forward so what am I doing wrong!?

thanks in advance

The cluster has a pin either side of it at the bottom, which as you've noticed sits on a point that allows it to pivot. Do as easypops and lower the steering wheel. Then tilt the cluster forward it should then come out.

i've lowered the steering wheel but thats not the issue as i haven't got it out far enough yet for that to be getting in the way!

my problem is getting it to clear the dash aperture itself as it seems to be being held back by something. is there enough slack behind for me to yank it a bit further or am I going to need to try and unplug cables first?

The whole clock won't come out in one go. Just pull the right hand side (as you look at it) out first then you can get to the cables at the rear. It'll come out just enough to give you access to them.

It is easier to remove the front plastic clear cover from the clocks to remove them and stops them getting scratched, remove the clock surround (2 x screws in top/underside, 2 x screws under plastic quarter cover panels, then remove both the screws on the white 'lugs' - these hold the clocks in the car and finally remove the 2 screws surrounded by black plastic on the clocks.) Pull the trip reset button off and you should find the plastic cover comes off ok, you now have more room to tilt the clocks forward to get to the vacuum hose and the electrical plug.

really? the idea of that scares me - surely the chances of snapping of a needle on the way out is quite high if you do that?

The cluster's pretty deep so you'd have to try pretty hard to damage the needles or clock faces. It can be done without but reduces the chance of scratching the plastic cover as Yan says.

It's not that tricky really - you could remove the steering wheel as well if you want more room - dead easy to do.

I agree.....i'm useless at most car things and got the clock out easily?......maybe post your location and someone near might lend a hand? :D

careful not to scratch up all the clear face of the cluster as your trying to get it out (or in)

i did this to mine and wasn't too chuffed with myself after wards