Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

Have you got a Supersprint exhaust on a VR6?

...and could you do me a favour? Supersprint are no longer making this part. They will manufacture some more if a minimum order of 5 can be made, but nobody seems that interested in group buying.

As it's just a pipe it'll be straightforward (boom boom) to fabricate one from stock exhaust tubing, but I need to know the dimensions. Neither Supersprint Italy or UK have bothered to reply to my requests for dimensions, so I'm resorting to asking if anyone of here with the obsolete part would be willing to measure it for me? All I really need is the length, outside diameter and inside diameter (if it's easy to disconnect). It would also be useful to know if it has crimping slits at either or both ends?

If push comes to shove I can just make it up as I go, but it would be nice to have some idea of what my target should be. Thanks.

He's registered on here as Chris Langdon, just do a search and PM him, I'm sure he'll help if he can :)

I've got one, i'll try get a length measurement for you over the weekend. The diameter is indeed 2.25". However the pipe from the centrebox to the CAT (one in your pic) was cut down to fit, so it will be shorter then purchased. But you'll have to cut it down anyway so it wont be a problem.

Cool, thanks for that :clap:. Any chance you could take a picture of the ends (or just describe them)? I'm interested to see if there are any flanges or slits or if it's just a plain pipe. Thanks again.

Aye i'll take a look Timbo. I'm sure the end that connects to the centre box its just a plain piece thats possibly slightly flared (with slits) then just clamped. As for the CAT end i cant remember, i'll take a look.

Without knowing the dimensions, I wouldn't know which part to get. Besides, surely if anything I'm after a 2.25" ID pipe? Cheers though, lots of useful bits and pieces on there.

Erm, well all you need is a meter of straight pipe and cut it down? :shrug: I used to have the supersprint on mine and that's all it was, a bit of painted black pipe! Mild steel at that. So a 2.5" piece of stainless would be a 2 way upgrade :D

They don't seem to do 2.25" on their, but they can probably get it as it's a common size.

I used to have the supersprint on mine and that's all it was, a bit of painted black pipe!

This is what I've been after really... if it is just a plain pipe with no flanges then any old bit of 2.25" stainless pipe will do the job :grin:.

mate got your Pm, Bill is right :) i do have that system on my car.

Indeed that part is no longer being made by supersprint, I brought my CAT back system a couple of years ago now and i was told that BACK THEN, BUT i phoned Demon tweeks and they ordered five so i could have one. worth given them a ring, YES its just a straight piece of black painted pipe as some one else said above and NO, no grooves cut outs etc its just straight, and YES you have to cut it to size, supersprint do this as that part is also used on GOLF VR's etc with different CATs DONT CUT IT TO SHORT , measure it first. If no one posts up the diameter then PM me and il get the car on the ramp at work and measure it for you as i can't remember, actually i still have the bill for it some where the diameter might be on there!!

Personally get the diameter and correct length and go Stainless Steel, looking back thats what i should of done as the backbox is stainless

hope this helps

regards

chris :)

Do you have a local powerflow or similar exhaust place?

They would supply and fit a piece for little money id imagine, just be sure they are using 301 grade stainless though as they didn't used to.

Neil.

Powerflow thats who i was just thinking of riley :lol: yep keep the supersprint back box (which one is it btw? oval or round?) and get power flow to fabricate the rest, but as riley says 301 ss is a must!!!

I've got the oval tip. The massive round one looks a bit daft if you ask me and I think it's been discontinued anyway. I'm not sure if I have a local Powerflow, but I'd rather just do it myself, to be honest. I think I have trust issues when it comes to garages :help:. The general consensus seems to be that it's a plain pipe, possibly with no crimping slits at all, and an ID of 2.25". This makes it dead easy really 8).

It would be handy yeah. It's mainly the diameter I'm concerned about as the Supersprint part is described as 55mm but it looks like the options for stainless tubing are 2 1/8 (54mm) and 2 1/4 (57mm), so I'm kind of debating with myself which to get. I need to get hold of the centre exhaust really in order to get an idea of the tolerances of the mating flange on it, but if you could check your pipe's diameter (:camp:) it would be handy.

Don't go to too much effort on my behalf though as I probably won't have the bits I need for a wee while yet (seems my supplier is on summer hols :brickwall:). Cheers.

Yeah I've seen that, but I've always been a bit dubious about the information Supersprint put on their website. For example, if you look for the little green star, the front pipe, the centre exhaust and both back boxes all fit to the OEM cat :cuckoo:.

For the record, the dimensions that are required are 55mm internal diameter, 60mm external diameter and 650mm long (though this isn't critical). The best I could find was 60/56mm, so I had to use a little bit of shim to get a snug fit to the cat (whose output is a straight pipe of 55mm external diameter). A couple of slits are needed in the pipe on this end to allow for clamping, obviously.

For the record, the dimensions that are required are 55mm internal diameter, 60mm external diameter and 650mm long (though this isn't critical). The best I could find was 60/56mm, so I had to use a little bit of shim to get a snug fit to the cat (whose output is a straight pipe of 55mm external diameter). A couple of slits are needed in the pipe on this end to allow for clamping, obviously.

Is it only 650mm long, thought it was longer then that, even after cutting it down to fit.

Yep and this is probably as long as you'd want it. You could lose another 30mm in length from it and still be able to make it fit, though I wouldn't recommend that.