culshaw

Bonnet cable connector snapped

can you post a pic of how it fits please? The bracket on mine snapped some years back so i just used an l-shaped piece of steel and bolted it to the handle. Works fine so far, but this looks like a more permanent fix.

I'm sure dave16v could knock up something as good and probably MUCH cheaper than the GP item??

Wow thats a bit pricey! fixed mine with a tandem brake cable, some brake cable adjusters and a solderless nipple, all cost around £6 for the lot and about half an hour to fit :clap:

cant quite see how it works, tbh - is it bolted to the main bracket and the interference of the tube sheath is against the outside of the block (relay panel side)? What are those grub screws on the top used for?

What the first picture doesnt show is one of the "slots" is rebated.The outer cable goes into the slot,the inner comes out of the other end.The grub screws just clamp it onto where the old clip was situated.

It really is a nice bit of kit,very light and so simple to put on,once the remenants of your old clip are removed.

Can anyone confirm that the below are the only parts I need to replace bonnet cable?

535823555 Nipple - £4.27 + vat

N0102631 Screw - £0.08 + vat

536823531 - CABLE

Thanks.

Pete

can anyone confirm the above? looking to order the parts today so i can at least close the bonnet of the C :-)

can anyone confirm the above? looking to order the parts today so i can at least close the bonnet of the C :-)

Yeah thats correct mate when my bro ordered the nipple it came with a screw in it, but for the sake of 8p you may as well order the screw aswell just incase

Thanks - I've odered the bits and a couple of other things too :)

should be a fun job!

when i replaced mine i got this bit (from previous thread)

i never fitted the external bit of cable, only the metal wire inside, looked too hard to feed the black casing through as well :lol:

hahahaha, the bit i didn't fit back then decided to snap yesterday, so i now have bonnet stuck again :lol: typical, i should of fitted the whole cable last time round.

at least i have the bits i need sitting around.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

this gruvenparts one looks good, just the sort of thing i was dreaming up.

might get that instead, is there a UK supplier?

i think i got all my other bits from strictly dubs

Mine also has broken, what is it thats actually failing on these? I was going to see if I could bodge it somehow, should I just be biting the bullet and ordering a new cable?

1st time on mine the metal brass coloured trumpet bit came loose and fell off the end of cable, this time the clip that hold the outer sheath of the cable to the bonnet release handle has snapped.

managed to get bonnet open yesterday without breaking anything, but struggling to fit new cable outer sheath.

i have such a list of bits to do, i'm considering taking my dashboard out so i can sort out the mess know as the fusebox :(

I'll take a proper look tonight and make a decision on it. It doesn't help that I'm not using it daily yet, waiting for my Golf to sell :(

Must be the season for it as mine has just gone :(

Got quoted £46.89 inc VAT for the above 3 parts.

Pesky critter!

Not the end of the world for me as my car is going in for body work soon so will leave it to the experts in the bodyshop to sort!

Wow thats a bit pricey! fixed mine with a tandem brake cable, some brake cable adjusters and a solderless nipple, all cost around £6 for the lot and about half an hour to fit :clap:

nice! i did the exact same thing m8, i work part time in a bike shop so i had everything i needed at my disposal, even had the correct brass cable ends {ferrals} which seated perfect in the two metal tabs that act as cable stops, imo its just as good as factory, smooth as silk aswell with the oil i used inside the outer cable, total cost. about £10.00