Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Any tips on how I can close of the brake lines?

I'm going to get my brake calipers refurbished and want to keep the brake fluid in the system until I get them back, anyone got any tips on what I could use to block the brake lines keeping them from draining out?

(I'm going to cut the lines as I'm going to redo all the lines etc)....

i've got a couple of suggestions for you

well if you dont cut them you can use blockers on the lines that screw in and look like a crimped brake pipe attached to a screwing mechanism or just use mole grips on each line till your ready to replace them (fold and clamp)

i'm sure if theres better options, the guys on forum won't be long to set you straight lol :)

them blockers sound good to me but to be honest i would drain the lot, youre gonna have to bleed it anyway, if youre really wanting to save the fluid then put a bottle under each one :grin:

Any idea where one would get these "blockers"?

It's not to keep the fluid, it's more to keep the brake "central/reservoar" from starting to rust inside, if it's left empty for some time I think it will....:(

The fluid is going out in the end, as I will replace all the brake lines...;)

when i did mine, i took the lid off brake fluid reservoir put cling film over it and put lid back on. This helps to stop the fluid pouring out. When i disconnected the pipes i just wrapped them in cling film and put elastic bands over them.

but mine was only like that for about 1 week

can you not just get some form of molegrips (with some protection so not to damage them) on the brake hoses, that will stop the fluid from moving.

Or just crimp the brake lines seeing as your re-doing them

yea have been thinking of the wise grip thingy (I presume it's the same as mole grips?), but was a bit unsure if that would be good enough to hold the fluid inside.....:)

well the fluid isn't pressurised so i wouldn't have thought it would be shooting out as long as you don't press the pedal.

you can get proper brake line clamps, two round metal bars hinged together with a locking clip, but I don't like them as they crush the line and they definitely wouldn't be good for longer than just swapping a caliper over straight away.

what you really want is something like a plumbing cap-off hat to screw on, or a female union with a crimped off pipe or hose on the other end.

I don't like fully draining any brake system, especially one with ABS on it, as getting the air out can be a real hassle.

Wedge the brake pedal down, this stops the fluid being able to drain through. Worked fine when I changed my callipers, next to nothing drained through.