Sign in to follow this  
Republic Of Mancunia

Starts then cuts out!!

I've searched through the forum and I see a few people seem to have had this problem but no resolution posted that I can find

I start the car, it turns over fine and then immediately cuts out. The first time this happened I had to call the AA out to it. He disconnected the battery and then re-connected it and it fired up. It was fine for a couple of months but now its happening almost every day! :mad: It starts beautifully first thing in the morning but when I come to start it to leave work about 8 hours later! it starts and cuts out. Unless it is restarted within about 2 or 3 mins of being stopped it won't go. After about 10-15 mins of trying it eventually goes.

My C is very damp inside so I’m wondering if that is something to do with it. Plus my fuel pump is quite noisy so could it be that is on its way out, but it is fine idling, cruising and acceleration.

Can anyone suggest what this could be? Any hints and tips are welcome.

What car do you have?? depending on what engine you have you may want to search for the following - cold start injector, fuel pump, ISV, coilpack and so on

It would be a good starting point to find someone local with VAGcom to see if you have any faulty sensors and then look into the usual causes.

Could also be the OE immobiliser, but your best bet it get VAG-COM or similar hooked up & have a look for error codes. Whereabouts in Manchester are you?

(If you're free on Sunday 18th I'll be at the Dubsport Rolling Road day (near Wigan) with my laptop & VAG-COM so could have a look if you fancy a ride out... see the thread in the "General Car Chat" forum)

I 've just had the same thing happen to me i drove through a puddle of water a bit deeper than what i thought it would be, there was a puff of steam from under the bonnet, the car started a further twice the third time it cut out immediately. I've noticed that the abs light is not lighting on starting ( the engine is only turning over for a matter of seconds, possibly not long enough for the abs sensors to work). Has anyone had this problem and sorted it. I've got the car in my garage with a heater blowing into the engine bay to try and dry it off a bit as it hasn't started again yet.

I bet you any money it's the OE immobiliser that's your problem. I had the same thing a few months back, it wasn't a huge problem at the time, but it packed up completely when I stopped for petrol on the M40. Which was a big pain in the arse as I was about 1hr 1/2 from home!

Anyways more to the point, it's the sensor that reads the transponder code from your ignition key that's stopped working properly. They're notoriously dodgy but cheap to replace, it cost me about 25 quid for a new one-I think its called a read sensor or something. Sorted.

Can't claim credit for working out what was wrong with it though. one of my brother's mates works for vag so cheers to whoever he was!

I had a very similar problem - the VR6 (95 73K) would start perfectly fisrt thing and was fine after work - however, when I tried starting after a few minutes/up to about 4 hours, it would turn over - then cut out. If I applied some gas, it would catch and run, but would die if I took my foot of the accelerator. Got to be a real pain.

Took it to VW and they diagnosed a new stabilisation valve was needed - £178 + VAT (!!**£!"). Anyway - had it fitted as it was under a warranty and have had no trouble since. It may or may not be this in your case - hope from the cost it isn't !! I couldn't find another supplier - others on the forum may be able to help. Good luck !

Dick Dastardly.

I had my ABS light illuminate the other day. It was getting on my nerves so I removed fuses until it went out. On trying to re-start my engine it would catch but then cut out.

I replaced the fuse and it started and ran OK. The ABS light also behaved normally (came on for 2 seconds then went out).

I tried again and the car did the same. It just cut out if the ABS fuse was removed. Must be linked to the ECU.

Chech the fuses for the ABS.

I bet you any money it's the OE immobiliser that's your problem. I had the same thing a few months back, it wasn't a huge problem at the time, but it packed up completely when I stopped for petrol on the M40. Which was a big pain in the arse as I was about 1hr 1/2 from home!

Anyways more to the point, it's the sensor that reads the transponder code from your ignition key that's stopped working properly. They're notoriously dodgy but cheap to replace, it cost me about 25 quid for a new one-I think its called a read sensor or something. Sorted.

Can't claim credit for working out what was wrong with it though. one of my brother's mates works for vag so cheers to whoever he was!

Took it to VW and they diagnosed a new stabilisation valve was needed - £178 + VAT (!!**£!").

You should have said, I've got a spare VR6 ISV at home! Nevermind....but for future reference, don't go to the dealer for any Bosch stuff as they stick a ridiculous mark-up on it.

K

Thanks for the replies. Stormseeker thanks for the offer for use of your VAGCOM I’ll see if I can make it on Sunday, I’ll PM you if I can go. MonVR6 this sounds identical I hope it isn't the ISV at that price. Kevhaywire is your spare VR6 ISV new? How much would you want for it?, that’s if mine turns out to be faulty.

Kevhaywire[/b][/color] is your spare VR6 ISV new? How much would you want for it?, that’s if mine turns out to be faulty.

It's not new but it's only a couple of years old according to the history receipts. I replaced it early on during my VR ownership because of a lumpy idle, but found out afterwards on the forum that most VRs have a lumpy idle, therefore the new valve made bugger all difference! I could have taken the valve back but decided to keep the old one as a spare.

You can have it for £25 inc P&P if you need it.

Cheers

K

I had the same problem and agree with Jez.Took mine to VAG and the diagnostics came back with low signal from transponder(chip in key).I had a new kew made and programmed but still had the same intermittent fault.In the end had to have a new transponder reciever(fits around barrel).That eventually did the trick.Cost me just over £200.Good luck.

finally got my c back on the road had to resort to the local vag stealer. first the reckoned it was the immoboliser sending unit which they were going to charge me £83.00 for. The sent away for a new one. It didn't cure the problem, after replacing the original and with the help of the top technician it turned out to be the wiring loom was rubbing against the inner wing at the off side and had shorted out the cabling. they still managed to charged me £100 notes for the privilage( top technitian was called Dick Turpin by the way) anyway problem solved :lol:

Looks like i've just joined the ign switch/immobiliser problem club :roll: :cry: ......though ive also got the added problem of the sunroof not working and the spoiler slightly raised :roll: ...........hopefully its just a fuse for the both of them.........though was told by someone well-informed with VW's that there migth be a fuse for the immobilsor too.......anyone have a clue about that???? :? :? :?

VR6Storm! Had exactly the same problem last summer. Turned out to be a 15 amp fuse (on right hand side of fuse panel - number 16 or something). Car starts then immedialely cuts out. Also same problems with sunroor/spoiler etc. Replaced the fuse and eventually worked out that it blew again if I turned on the seat heat on drivers side. Must be shorted somewhere I guess. I've got same car as you if it makes any difference. Keep meaning to find the fault! The seat's a bit cold in the morning at the moment!

VR6Storm! Had exactly the same problem last summer. Turned out to be a 15 amp fuse (on right hand side of fuse panel - number 16 or something). Car starts then immedialely cuts out. Also same problems with sunroor/spoiler etc. Replaced the fuse and eventually worked out that it blew again if I turned on the seat heat on drivers side. Must be shorted somewhere I guess. I've got same car as you if it makes any difference. Keep meaning to find the fault! The seat's a bit cold in the morning at the moment!

yip thats the one!!!.........though mine seems to have been fixed......the other thing that was noticed was the relay just above it had come loose quite a bit and of course it looked very much like the original fuses.......so near 9 years from a fuse aint too bad :wink: