Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Damn Sunroof!

Well it had to happen sooner or later. My passenger side cable block sheared off today when my mate tilted it (forgot to tell him it didn't work) so the drivers side comes down again, and not the other! Arse and treble arse. I know what a pig this is as I looked into it before buying my Corrado. It seems very few people have never had a sunroof problem.

Is there a guide online somewhere outlining a strip-down and overhaul?

Apparently I have to buy the whole cable mechanism but I read somewhere you can actually buy just the cable blocks seperately?

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Mine will only tilt and not slide :? :mad: so I'd be interested if someone had a cheap and easy solution! Had the same problem on my G60- VW quoted me over £700!!! :shock:

I hadn't had a sunroof problem until last week on a sunny day when I went to open it, it would only tilt but then I tried it a bit later and the damn thing worked I ve been tryin it everyday since and seems to be intermitent so the likely hood is that it is going to stop working altogether very soon :( . I ve heard the passat sunroof and mechanism is the same and there are plenty of them down the scrappy so I'll probably get a set of spare mechanisms and wait till my sunroof pops it's clogs.

I must be Kylie coz, toch wood, never had any trouble with either of mine.

Famous last words...............

i finally decided to go retro and went to my local vw breakers and managed to get myself a vw passat glass sunroof, and fitted that instead!! ;D it tilts and slides open fine but when i close it from fully retracted it closes about halfway and then slows down and stops it then half to push and press the button to close it fully any ideas????

Will put pics up soon

Did you fit the interior blind aswell? These are known to snag on the Passat conversion and many people that do this mod leave the blind out of the equasion, and then it works. Just something to try.

Did you fit the whole passat subframe or just the roof and mechanism?

Kev

I picked this fit bird up for a date, I had cleaned the car up and it was gleaming, and I had the smooth R n B music playing.... We parked up and as we were getting out of the car she said, ' your sunroods open', I said thats no problem, alarmed the car and it started to close, then got stuck and it started to piss down!! Nice. It was the last time I saw her

golden opportunity for the old 'let me help you out of those wet things before you catch a cold' routine

:D

M8, for the 'older' generation, you are one dirty bloke! :lol:

Did you fit the interior blind aswell? These are known to snag on the Passat conversion and many people that do this mod leave the blind out of the equasion, and then it works. Just something to try.

Did you fit the whole passat subframe or just the roof and mechanism?

Kev

I fitted the complete roof assembly out of a passat including the blind without any problems to my mates corrado,even got a top tip £50 voucher from the golf mag :wink: