Sign in to follow this  
Teji

Using Coolant

Alrite people, as above really, my rado is using a fair bit of collant, to be precise its used one litre in two months.

I just wanted to know, where its all going lol ?????

Thanks

Tej

What else u wanna know mate lol

Also where can i get samco or silicone hoses for my 2.0 8v rado cooling system ????

Thanks

First start off with some rad weld from halford and check the hoses and joins for any leaks. There is loads of different ways the car can leak coolant im afraid

First start off with some rad weld from halford and check the hoses and joins for any leaks. There is loads of different ways the car can leak coolant im afraid

Personally I'd avoid like the plague things like rad weld. Its not a clean nor a long term fix and *could* do more harm than good.

For examples (mixed feedback re causing sludge ETC)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=43334

My A3 has a coolant leak too and needs top ups every few weeks to stop the bottle sensor detecting 'low fluid'.

Mine stems from a leaking end cap on the radiator. Should really get a new one but coolant is cheaper than radiators and I really can't be bothered with the strip down right now! Has been leaking for over 12 months now!

How would I know if the headgasket was going? Are there any tell tale signs?

In regards to Radweld if I try it and it isn't the problem will it damage the car?

Err yeah don't use rad-weld, especially in a VR!

For coolant leaks you need to look for white staining on pipes and on the block around the plastic coolant flanges.

I wouldn't use it on any engine tbh!

A common place for water leakage on the 8v's is the flange where the hose meets the main block (on the right hand side of the engine as you look at it) so its worth checking there, also just look around the bay at all the hoses to see if any hoses are leaking or clips need tightening etc?

Rad welds particuarly bad in a VR because of the small water ways in the block.

Like Walesy says though, best not to use it at all and fix the problem properly!

It was the front flange on the block.

Changed it lets see how it goes.

My temp sits at 90-94 in traffic and goes down to 88 when driving :S

How I wish that my 1994 VR6 was using only half a litre of coolant a month!

It has got a real water loss problem but where from? All the hoses are in good condition with no signs of staining, the expansion tank lid is new, the oil filler cap and dip stick show no sign of that yellow sludge that would suggest the head gasket had gone and there is no leak inside the car from the heater matrix. It does not drip water when standing.

But it does produce steam from the exhaust - suggesting to me that the head gasket has gone - but there is no water in the oil. Do VR6 head gaskets fail for coolant only? Anyone get any other ideas what might be the problem?

Do you know how much is it likely to set me back to get a new headgasket fitted?

All help will be gratefully received! Cheers

David

mate im sure u can get it tested some how.

mine produces smoke from the exhaust only when its cold in the morning though !!!!!

You can get the water in the header tank tested to see if the head gasket has gone. Im sure most garages would be able to do this. With the engine runnin they would stick a probe into the water to detect if the gasket is fooked

What else u wanna know mate lol

Also where can i get samco or silicone hoses for my 2.0 8v rado cooling system ????

Thanks

Anyone know the answer to this? Will a G60 coolant set fit? Or the kit for the 8v Mk3 golf?

g60 kit won't fit i shouldn't think, golf 2.0 8v kit might, that's what we had to do with the 1.8 valvers, mk2 golf 16v kit - we ended up with a spare hose but i've found that can be used to go from the bottom of the expansion bottle to the block, no waste!! 8)

If you get an idea of what the hoses look like you could browse websites looking at the pics - it works!!