Sign in to follow this  
rajarella

Earth strap

What does the earth strap on a vr starter motor connect to? Mine seems to be going nowhere. If anyone has a pic of their starter in situ that would be great.

Rich

goes to the negative on the battery. its a big thick 16mm2 cable iirc, if i'm thinking of the right one, although if its not connected you wont be able to start the car.

I can't start the car! As I look at the starter I have two wires with ringed ends connected to a stud and nut on top of the starter and one wire with a black connector going into the end of the starter. Is one of these the earth?

Neither of those are earth. One of the wires on the stud goes to the alternator, the other one to the battery + terminal. The black connector is the starter solenoid which is a red/black wire from the ignition switch.

The earth strap goes from one of the gearbox to engine bolts to a stud on the body between the battery and the washer bottle, like swiftkid said, then that stud goes to the battery - terminal.

since i did the auto to manual swop i dont remember connecting a separate earth from teh gearbox to the chassis, so does anyone have a pic of this? I only have the one from the starter to the bracket behind the battery.

Hi pics afternoon as i have engine out of the car i will send you detail photos of the cabel ad where to conect. :D

Ok here are promised pictures

above the starter motor on bolt that holds gearbox to the engine

corrado014.jpg

behind the batery small m6 nut holds the ground to the chassie

corrado012.jpg

and the ground strap of the car

corrado024.jpg

Sorry on my bad english hope this helps.

no, your english is very good indeed.

Many thanks for the pictures, i have this fitted, i just thought there was another from the gearbox.

There is one more from behind right side of the cylinder head to ignition transformer on the firewall.