Sign in to follow this  
PaulMoVR6

VAG.COM Lead

Don't even bother. Bought one for about 15 quid. Doesn't work at all :( now I know what is a different between 15 quid ebay cable and 200 quid ross-tech cable.

I've been reading comments about successful, genuine VAGcom leads and failing, substitute leads for some years and am totally mystified by this prob.

Whilst I'm no electrical engineer, I do have some grasp of electrics, but fail to understand what this prob is.

Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking of 2 connectors and an intermediate multicore cable here, so unless there's poor design or defective manufacture of 1 or both connectors, defective cable core terminations or incorrect terminal to terminal selection in manufacture, what could be wrong?

Do either of the genuine connectors have internal trick circuitry?

We must surely have an IT man in our number who can shed some light on this?

We must surely have an IT man in our number who can shed some light on this?

I'm a IT guy :) Tested 4 cables together on vag com from ross-tech. 3 were after market cables about 10-25 quid each. You can plug them via usb, windows can see them as a new device and You can install them successful but vag com doesn't recognized them. everything was tested on 2 different computers. When plugged original ross-tech cable was recognized and installed by windows as 3 after market cables in this same way but only one different is that You can use it with vag.com. All 4 cables was tested with different programs, mileage correction etc. and only original ross-tech did the job. Question is, what's the different. Ross-tech cable must have something what cheep cables doesn't in construction what makes it usable but cost 200 quid :(

Paid a tenner for my eBay Chinese jobby, downloaded a copy of vagcom, works perfectly on my C and my bro's A4. I did however go for a serial connector, not USB, as I'd herad they can be problematic...

I bought one of the blue leads above, though different seller probably. Works fine.

Has your got a serial or usb fitting?[/quote:1rwd0wrp]

USB, it also came with the 16 pin to 2x2 adaptor. I do find though, it only works in one of the USB ports - VAG COM only detects the car in com port 3.

Fairly good so far, except one comment about downloading pirate software, so could we please ensure that all discussion sticks to the topic of leigitimate ways of going about this please.

Thanks

Fairly good so far, except one comment about downloading pirate software, so could we please ensure that all discussion sticks to the topic of leigitimate ways of going about this please.

Thanks

Isnt the RossTech download from the Rosstech website (only) legitimate though?

Yeah I would expect so but I don't think that downloading a copy of VAG-com is going to be very legitimate though ....

Yeah I would expect so but I don't think that downloading a copy of VAG-com is going to be very legitimate though ....

It's freeware on the actual Rosstech site. You only pay if you want to unlock the fault codes, which is pointless as the code translations are easy enough to find online.

Nothing illegal about it. Rosstech just fleece people who are daft enough to shell out the cash without doing any research first.

If so, more than happy to accept to know more than me on the subject. I admit that I've never actually looked into Rosstech ... but I do know there is plenty of dodgy VAG-com software and pirated material floating around so just want to make sure the topic sticks to legitimate resources to avoid us landing in trouble.

If so, more than happy to accept to know more than me on the subject. I admit that I've never actually looked into Rosstech ... but I do know there is plenty of dodgy VAG-com software and pirated material floating around so just want to make sure the topic sticks to legitimate resources to avoid us landing in trouble.

Indeed. I can appreciate your concerns.

i have a genuine key com lead and when used it fully unlocks the vagcom software i guess it has some kind of encoding chip in it

and funnyly enough it always works !! :lol:

Ok just come across this; can someone just explain what this VAGcom is what the benefits are and is it worth investing in. Am I right in thinking that it's a free download and you fork out for the hardware, which then allows use of the programme? (from what i can gather from this topic)!

Ok just come across this; can someone just explain what this VAGcom is what the benefits are and is it worth investing in. Am I right in thinking that it's a free download and you fork out for the hardware' date=' which then allows use of the programme? (from what i can gather from this topic)![/quote']

VAGCOM is the VAG diagnostics software, it allows you to scan the ecu for any fault codes due to faulty sensors etc. Yes its free from www.ross-tech.com. Simply download it for free. Now you can buy the hardware (cable) but its expensive. However if you go to ebay there are cables available from there

see- http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=vagc ... &_osacat=0

Though you will also need a 2x2 adapter, which ill allow the cables in the link to connect to the white and black connectors in the car (they are positioned under gear gaitor trim in the car)

Definately worth getting mate, it can make fault finding easy . :D

I also bought a £15 jobbie. USB type, but have to run it with a virtual serial port driver through the USB and the 409b (IIRC) version of VAG-Com, which is downloadable from Ross-tech website.