Sign in to follow this  
Scott

2003 Celica ?

Mmmm......

Well my best mate come over last night in his Boss's Toyota Celica - my mate gets his own in 2-6 weeks depending on when it turns up... so anyway went for a test drive in this Celica and Ive got to admit I was very impressed.

Now I drive a VR6 and wasnt exepcting the Celica to even come close but I though the chassis and response on the Celica were awesome - we were pulling through round abouts at 45mph in the wet! :shock: - If I did that in the VR6 I would be wearing armco :(

So anyone else had experience of one of these cars ?

The performance was a let down after the VR6 but it held on to the gears well and went very well for 140bhp... reminded me alot of my old Corrado 1.8 16V... gearbox on the Celica was fantastic (6 speed)... quick changes very easy... as were full throttle shifting ..

Im half tempted to go out and buy the 190 version :shock: :shock: 8) :lol:

Or maybe I should just get new shocks and top mounts then just rung rings round the Celica ? :lol:

Scott

Hi Scott,

Its easy to get tempted with a newer car, I think its because all new cars have lots of gizmos that come standard to tease you. They also have fashionable looks and features, the problem is, fashon goes out of style very quick. I had a test drive in one of those Hundai coupes a few weeks ago (they have a garage next to my vw garage) when I got my c serviced. I thought it was an ok car in build quality and the performance (136bhp) also reminded me on my old 16v C.

However if you try and imagine one of these cars in a few years time, I don't think they'll quite 'cut the mustard' in comparison to a Corrado. imo nothing looks as dated on the road now-a-days as a '94 Celica. The Corrado in the other hand just ousses quality and, 'quality never goes out of fashon'. :D

Just my biased opinion...

Hi Scott,

Its easy to get tempted with a newer car, I think its because all new cars have lots of gizmos that come standard to tease you. They also have fashionable looks and features, the problem is, fashon goes out of style very quick. I had a test drive in one of those Hundai coupes a few weeks ago (they have a garage next to my vw garage) when I got my c serviced. I thought it was an ok car in build quality and the performance (136bhp) also reminded me on my old 16v C.

However if you try and imagine one of these cars in a few years time, I don't think they'll quite 'cut the mustard' in comparison to a Corrado. imo nothing looks as dated on the road now-a-days as a '94 Celica. The Corrado in the other hand just ousses quality and, 'quality never goes out of fashon'. :D

Just my biased opinion...

Funnily enough my Mum has a Hyundai Coupe *:).... didnt rate the engine on that at all! - horrible thing! *:) LOL

Also my other mate has a 1997 Celica which is old shape and it doesnt look that bad - at least I dont think it does *:)

I think its time for some new shocks and then we'll see how it goes *:) - but even my missus says the VR6 suits me as its butch *:) - Celica is a girls car she says *:) LOL

Don't do it! I test drove a Honda Civic Type R in January when I had dillusions of owning a brand new car (after being fed up with feeding old bangers so much cash) but I wasn't impressed. I only tried it because the motoring press raved on about it so much but it's merely an over-sprung, under geared buzz box. The only good thing about it was the awesome gear change, which was as light and fluid as a joystick and mounted on the dash, which is a lot more natural than it sounds - takes seconds to get used to and you wonder why all manufacturers don't do that.

I was so glad I got the Corrado, a lot smoother, a lot quieter and just as quick. The only reason Type Rs are quick is because the gear ratios are ridiculously short, oh and the 'magic' V tec zone just didn't happen in my test car, a real let down.

Sometimes it takes a drive of a different car to realise how good your own car is. You forget sometimes as you're so used to it.

Kev

Don't do it! I test drove a Honda Civic Type R in January when I had dillusions of owning a brand new car (after being fed up with feeding old bangers so much cash) but I wasn't impressed. I only tried it because the motoring press raved on about it so much but it's merely an over-sprung, under geared buzz box. The only good thing about it was the awesome gear change, which was as light and fluid as a joystick and mounted on the dash, which is a lot more natural than it sounds - takes seconds to get used to and you wonder why all manufacturers don't do that.

I was so glad I got the Corrado, a lot smoother, a lot quieter and just as quick. The only reason Type Rs are quick is because the gear ratios are ridiculously short, oh and the 'magic' V tec zone just didn't happen in my test car, a real let down.

Sometimes it takes a drive of a different car to realise how good your own car is. You forget sometimes as you're so used to it.

Kev

Well I thought it was time I went for a 'proper' drive of the VR6 with my mate who ownes the Celica.... he was gob smacked just how quick the VR6 is *:) - held the revs at 3k rpm and dump the clutch from lights and up through the gears - seriously satisfying *:) heh heh.... not something I make a habit off but I was grinning from ear to ear - said mate hit his head on head rest LOL *:)

Im going to stick with the VR and get some new shocks *:)

Scott

My dad works for a toyota dealership and I have to admit the celica 190 (your mate obviously had the celica 140) is a very nice car to drive it handles really well like the corrado and like most jap cars is very solid and well put together, the fun really starts though when you hit the second cam profile at around the 6000rpm mark it hits you like a turbo the only down side is that in third gear you have to be doing 90mph before you get the second profile to come in which is a bit annoying coz you cant use the extra power in everyday driving (Nice car though) the corrado is much better in my personal opinion :D :D I think the mr2 roadster is a pretty funky car to drive as well I like the RWD and the 2l vvti engine but again the second cam profile is too far up the rev range to be able to use it!!!

my friend has the 140hp 2002 model. its nice and fast and feels good to drive, but i think its way underpowered for the money compared to the new stuff coming out. if i was going to get one it would be nothing less than the 190hp GTS version.

too much money for an average car. i think i made him feel bad when i beat him in the G60... which is paid for, not just with a downpayment on it 8)

side note tho... old Celica GT-Four's look nice and are worth every penny imho.. turbo awd for cheap!!