Sign in to follow this  
Blondie1

Running bad after new Exhuast

I had powerflow exhaust fitted saturday, de-catted, ran fine after, until i was on my way home from a mates saturday, and i was in the red, but, i knew id got enough to get home...or so i thought, it conked out on me. so had to get my someone to come out with petrol, and since then its been runnin lumpy as hell, runnin STUPIDLY rich, and almost cuts out when i stop at junctions. I've had people say its just because I've probably sucked up a load or crap running it low, some say I need to reset the ECU, and some say resetting the ECU wont make a difference and I'll need a chip.... Anyone here had this problem before and knows what I need to do??? :(

I had powerflow exhaust fitted saturday, de-catted

... which means they had to remove and refit the lambda probe, assuming your engine has one (you didn't say which it is!).

I would suspect, in order, lambda wiring, then fuel contamination. There's no way that you'll need a rechip just for a decat.

agree with above

next step after lambda would be changing the fuel filter, in fact it's probably best to do that in any case

i've never understood the "sucked up all the crap at bottom of tank"

people say this to me still "oh the vr6 is bad for sucking the crap out the tank, don't let it get near empty"

?????? surely the fuel filter stops that

people say this to me still "oh the vr6 is bad for sucking the crap out the tank, don't let it get near empty"

It cloggs up the filter, thats why they should be changed about every 2yrs.

When you are moving and the fuel is moving around any particles or shite in the tank will end up in solution so it will be drawn into the fuel filter anyway.

Main benefit of not running the tank low is that the fuel helps cool the pump, and consistently running with a low level of fuel can accelerate wear on the pump.

Aye /\

Fuel pumps run hot, so the more fuel in the tank, the cooler they run.

Agree with the picking up crap comments, not really an issue with Corrados. Sure there will always be bits and bobs at the bottom of the tank that get sucked up, but the prefilter gauze around the pump pick-up filtes out the big stuff. The pump is man enough to handle small amounts of tiny debris anyway. The post-pump filter (the one under the car) removes finer contaminants at the

You should change the filter yearly at best, or at worst when the fuel pump starts to get noisy.

You should change the filter yearly at best, or at worst when the fuel pump starts to get noisy.

I think mine might be overdue then, 140,000 miles, no running issues!

The crap can be water, bought from a petrol station, and can sit in the bottom of the tank doing nothing until it gets v low.

A drain down, followed by a fresh tankful of V-power should be the first step. Can't see the exhaust itself being the prob, though damaging the lambda and/or its wiring wouldn't help.

Best of luck

Oh mines 2ltr 16v

Ugh so they didnt replace the lambda sensor when fitting my de-cat I bet! Its just odd that it ran fine straight after the exhaust was fitted. Will change the fuel filter anyway. Dumped fuel and injector cleaner in it yesterday, redlined it and caused a cloud of black smoke, lovely lol

Oh mines 2ltr 16v

Ugh so they didnt replace the lambda sensor when fitting my de-cat I bet!

It will have carried along for a while wondering if the lambda was going to start working, then it will have gone into limp-home mode, which means running monster rich, all the time. It'll be seriously down on power and cost you a fortune in fuel. Lucky you no longer have a catalyst, cos if you did it would be coated in unburnt petrol by now and you'd fail the mot on emissions..

I think there are two different issues here:

1. The exhaust was changed

2. The car ran out of fuel.

1. caused no issues.

2. may have caused the motor to run lean, destroying the lambda through overheating and getting beaten up with mis-fires etc as the car ran out of fuel.

How does the car run if the lambda's disconnected?

I have no idea tbh :(

Stand still it sounds like a bloody subaru with anti lag, when I slow down for junctions it almost cuts out. Put fuel and injcetor cleaner in it yesterday, redlined it and a load of black smoke came out. And its runnin no better. Ive been told I should get my mixtures adjusted....

erm, if i was just to reset the ecu to see if that helped, how long to i disconnect the battery for?? i thought half an hour, then someone told me 24 hours......

erm, if i was just to reset the ecu to see if that helped, how long to i disconnect the battery for?? i thought half an hour, then someone told me 24 hours......

10 mins should do it, the ECU loses its setting after that.

disconnect the battery and connect the postive n negative terminal cables (only the cables / leads) together. this will drain down the system / circuits / ecu's in the car hold together 10 sec's and you should be good. its a quick way of deleting errors in ecu's to check if there stored or present.