deanjames

All red rears

Hi seen a few posts on here but am preety confused.

At the moment ive got all red rear and the indicators are flashing red. Ive heard you got to get resistors and then LED bulbs can anyone tell me where to get this and preety much link me to what ive got to get.

I take it resistors and then orange leds.

Cheers

Dean

you will never get the indicators working 100% correctly if they have been sprayed, i tried about 8 different bulbs and i was never happy with how bright/orange the indicators were. In the end i sold them on as i had a couple of scares while waiting to pull into a road etc etc, and the car behind could not see my indicators/brake lights properly.

for the sake of vanity its not worth having your car written off.

The definitive solution is to not have red indicators.. ;)

Everything else is a bad hack that may or may not allow you to get through the MOT each year depending on the mood of the tester..!

In reality, green bulbs through red filters produces hardly any light at all. It might be vaguely orangey but it's about a third the brightness that is required.

LEDs can overcome this a bit just by being very bright but they don't tend to spread the light very wide (amongst other issues) so they're still illegal for road use except where designed by the car manufacturer.

That said I had red rears for a few years and it was fine. Ish. Apart from the constant paranoia of being pulled over cos they flash a bit too red.. :)

Heres a picture of my light panel with the led bulb fitted on the front and the resistor on the back

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6718.jpg

Heres the terminals i connected the resistor to on the passenger side tail light

IMG_6724-1.jpg

IMG_6725-1.jpg

Heres the terminals i connected the resistor to on the drivers side tail light

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

heres a video of my indicators flashing

th_MVI_6715.jpg

Hope that clears up the wiring :)

deffo be changing it to your way i did mine like this

6925_154177709425_512644425_2683709_5314996_n.jpg

and the result

6925_154460339425_512644425_2685315_4343247_n.jpg

The led i currently have are 24 led but have just ordered some 36 led ones

my car's in the bodyshop right now so cant check but do we use the diametrically opposite pins or the offset ones on the leds? I want to order some of these this weekend if poss. Do Maplins keep them (leds and resistors)?

Genius mate!!! I thought i was going to have to cut wires and all sorts of nasty things so i was going to go for leaving gaps in the red over the inicators.

Lifesaver!

Heres a picture of my light panel with the led bulb fitted on the front and the resistor on the back

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6718.jpg

Heres the terminals i connected the resistor to on the passenger side tail light

IMG_6724-1.jpg

IMG_6725-1.jpg

Heres the terminals i connected the resistor to on the drivers side tail light

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

heres a video of my indicators flashing

th_MVI_6715.jpg

Hope that clears up the wiring :)

Looks like i'm doing something wrong - i've just wired mine up like yours Zak and they both flash too fast, ie though there's no resistor in there. Does anything need to be disconnected before wiring in the resistor?

thats strange, the wiring is exactly as above. There is nothing else you need to do.

Does it matter which way round the terminals of the resistors are go?

E.g. diodes only work one way round.

Shouldnt do Pumbaa. Anyway, here are some pics i just took of mine. I bought the resistors off here i guess they should be the right resistance. I've actually just swopped the spade for the left connector to the position next to the other one, although it wont make any difference. I also tried turning the bulbs around but also no effect. :?

Haven't actually fitted mine yet as im waiting for the laquer to harden on the all reds before i give them a final cut and polish but my resistors say:

'50W 6 ohm j' if thats any help?

Hasan when i see you next you can try swapping bits over from my setup to pin point the problem.

seems a good idea, thanks - i've got some other resistors from Leon which i'll solder some cables to and see if they work ok.

The measured resistance of the resistors is in fact 22 ohms. So assuming this to be higher than the others i have, the current draw will be lower, so theoretically there should be a sufficient load for them to flash properly, no? (from V=IR) Or is it the other way around, in that the resistance is too high hence considered an open circuit? I'll try it without the resistors and see.

turns out the resistors were mullered. I've fitted the new ones and its all fine now. Thanks for the input chaps.

HI people. i got painted red rear lights, i got the indicators to flash orange by using amber led bulbs and resistors, is there a way i can get the reverse light, white or close to it, at moment its shining pink, lol, any1 tried