OSV

Rear axle adjustment plates, look!

bolts sorted yet?

I'm keen on a set as I'll be getting the rear axle bushes on mine done soon so the garage can fit these as well while they're at it.

if your supplier cant do these would you mind sending me the drawings and specs.

Seems rodmax is no longer on the forum? A shame really, i was looking forward to getting a set of these, after the preparatory work he has done.

Anyway, if he isn't, I'm thinking about a way to get these made up as i'm sure they would benefit quite a few people. Ideally I'd need a template if there is anything around, or a diagram that we can use on the laser cutter. Otherwise any other suggestions would be great.

Hi

Sorry still here, have been properly messed around by the engineering shop ,its all got a bit

unpleasant , at the mo just trying to get my original plates back.as you can imagine i'm out of

pocket and not happy,

will keep you updated.Rod

I would really like a set of these but it seem's I may have to wait a long time to get a set if ever after reading the thread.I'm sure everyone understand's your frustration Rod and being out of pocket but people can't wait forever ;) I could get these sorted at my work pretty quick depending on number's (not that I'm interested in doing it) But if Fla can get it sorted which I'm sure he can is it time to pass it on Rod? Or try to work it with Fla?

I'm happy either way - Clumpy could you find out whether this is feasible at your work? I'm sure you could comfortably sell at least 10 plate sets. Alternatively, i would be more than happy to look at it. Rodmax - its your project, we're here to help and i dont want to interfere, but ultimately lets try and get this one sorted. Sorry you're out of pocket with your fabricators, some of these guys are really unscrupulous.

It would be very easy at my work Fla but like you I don't want to interfere I only want to help to get it sorted for the benefit of myself and other Forum member's.

As a one off kind of thing Jamie not really mate the guy's in our machine shop are Dic88eads however if it was something where a good number was involved that would be a different scenario as I would take it through the "proper" channel's but I don't think that would be the case ;) sorry bud.

if you have a drawing we could put something together for you i'm sure.

Good man Fla :thumbleft:

Ok no probs James - was just a thought. There's a guy that sells them I'm just waiting to hear back from him as he doesn't have any stock. But it's been a couple of weeks and I'm seriously impatient! Sorry Hassan don't have a drawing sorry mate.

I would never normally speak badly about a product that someone puts time and effort into making, but seriously Rodmax, from an engineering point of view what you have shown there is dangerous. There is nothing wrong with the concept, just the execution. You need to use low headed socket head cap screws (DIN 7984 or 6912) in a thicker plate rather than c'sunk ones in a thin one for 3 reasons.

1. Where the nuts are welded into the chassis they are unlikely to be positioned the same every time- despite the jigging, this means that the countersinks in the plate will not line up with the holes and due to the c'sink faces being conical the screws cannot self centre and therefore seat properly- this leads to loosening screws or high side loads on the screw head which leads to failure.

2 Because you've used relatively thin plate you have very little contact area between the c'sunk screws and the plate.

The rear beam can be subjected to very high side loads -lets say someone goes around a corner, loses the back and knocks a curb with the rear wheel. On a standard rear beam assembly the stub axle would bend and probably/maybe the rear beam. With what you have done there the weakest link would be the small conical contact patch under the bolt heads possibly leading to the bracket peeling off and hence a loose rear beam which could have much more serious implications.

3. You simply don't have enough thread engagement for the hex screws with that thin plate.

A counter-bored hole in a thicker plate allows for any bolt pattern misalignment and retains a large area under the head of the bolt preventing the bracket from tearing loose. Yes it will be more expensive to make but much much safer.

Rant over. I may come across like an arse but I'd feel worse if something happened and didn't say anything. If you're selling parts to the public that are chassis, braking or even drivechain related, you really need to get it tested or approved first, even if it's just FEA. If you're not going to do that, at least over engineer it!

Thanks for everyone's input.

As far as the plate design is concerned,(kipVr) they were a direct copy of a set that had come from the states, the guy has sold a lot of these,with no apparent problems.the plate it self was 10mm thick. As i had said in an earlier post, the bolts were still being finalized.

But due to the massive hassle i have had and the delay it has also had on my corrado build, i'm calling it a day on the plates before i call it a day on the car too. Apologies for this. so i'm afraid its over to you guys.

that's a shame, especially after all your effort and time.

Don't lose hope on the car, take a break from it, have a look at some of the 'aspirational' cars on the forum and i'm sure you'll get your interest back.

Do you have any drawings or specs you wouldn't mind sending over to me to see if i can make these?

KipVR,if Rodmax doesn't mind, lets talk about any design modifications here to get them absolutely correct - that's assuming that we can even make them!

Edited by fla

A copy of the product Stormcharged posted in post no 11 would work fine, and would probably be about £50 per pair for manufacture, plus a bit for hassle. If Rodmax doesn't want to do any more then I'm willing to supply some. I also have some stub axle spacers made, they are 20mm thick, what offset do people want?

Thanks for the replies.

As far as the one set i did have ,they are still at the machine shop (if i ever get them back!!)

The original set are back on a VW.

So for the moment i'm unable to help.

As for my corrado its just frustration, i know.It has come a long way .glass out repaint, the underneath is now painted and as clean as the top

All the suspension is powder coated or painted and we wont talk about the LARGE amount of plated nuts and bolts ??

I cant see any one wanting a rather large airfix kit .I'll just keep battling on

Thanks again Rod

I may come across like an arse but I'd feel worse if something happened and didn't say anything.

You couldn't come across like an arse if you tried :D

Are you an engineer by trade? You've got a big bag of onions in your hand and you know every one of them :)

I also thought they looked a little on the under-engineered side to support a rear axle, but only from a visual perspective. Thanks for confirming with a scientific explanation!

Just a thought - would it be simpler to produce some plates on eg 10mm steel to raise the mounting point of the rear stub axles rather thereby keeping the rear axle geometry the same?

I suppose the one issue would be the shifting of the wheel offset by the thickness of the plate though.

Edited by fla

Are you an engineer by trade? You've got a big bag of onions in your hand and you know every one of them :)

I also thought they looked a little on the under-engineered side to support a rear axle, but only from a visual perspective. Thanks for confirming with a scientific explanation!

Kev how did you guess! Yes I am an engineer. You can see the difference I'm talking about here in the pics below, the thicker c'bored one is more appropriate for the intended use than the thinner c'sunk one.

Fla, I like your thinking, it would move the wheel out as you mentioned- but may well suit someone wanting to put stub axle spacers on. I believe the ABS sensor positioning would be a problem though.

I see what you were saying regarding the thickness as I couldn't see the 2nd pic before it certainly look's at least half as thick as the original's (first pic). First look's about 8mm second about 3mm maybe 4mm.