Sign in to follow this  
millerman

VR6 ECU's

i have sourced an ecu for my vr6 but its the ag plug in chip version not the later soldered in chip

can i just plug the AG version in and it will work or not ????

reason being i have a superchip for this type ecu and wondered if it will work :confused4:

AG ecu's came in both early plug in chip type and later soldered in chip type. As long as your car is running an AG ecu it will work. If you have the later CP ecu with the imobiliser then your AG ecu will not work.

CP also runs a 4 pin MAF, so you need to be like for like mate. Sorry.

I.e. AG Dizzy + 5 pin MAF, AG Coilpack + 5 pin MAF or CP Coilpack + 4 pin MAF.

The 3 won't interchange in terms of Plug and play, but they can be 'fiddled' to work.

The 3 won't interchange in terms of Plug and play, but they can be 'fiddled' to work.

ok so how can they be fiddled as you say would i have to get a 5 pin MAF ??

ok so how can they be fiddled as you say would i have to get a 5 pin MAF ??

or shall i just unsolder the chip carrier and solder it in to the cp ecu ?

So your car has a CP and you want to use this Superchips AG chip you've got?

Not sure it will work tbh mate. You're better off speaking to Vince at Stealth because I'm not sure if the immobiliser is on the eprom or a seperate chip on the main board somewhere like with the R32 and 1.8T engines. If it's in the main eprom, you're stuffed, the superchips won't work at all in your CP.

By superchip, do you mean a remapped chip? If so I can transfer the maps between an AG chip and a CP chip. If the software has been modified in any other way your screwed, or should I say its more effort than its worth. I've never seen inside an AG ECU but would imagine it's different as the CP will need to deal with the extra immobiliser hardware. But you never know, the hardware could have always been there but the software just did not have it implemented. If you take a good picture of inside the ECU I can compare it to my CP. Of which I do have some good pictures.

think i may just bite the bullet and sell the chip with the ecu and let somebody else enjoy it rather than fanny about

but thanks all the same if you still want pics i can put them up later !

Mine's a CP so the AG stuff will never of any use to me really, but designing electronics for a living I'm pretty sure I would be able to spot any differences. In fact it'll probably say a PCB version number on it somewhere, might be useful for others out there though.

i've got one of the superchips mapped by AM........V :wave: Is there a correct orientation in the ecu slot as it seems it will fit both ways?

EDIT: sorry, just noticed the slot at the top of the chip