Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Coasting in netural, is it bad for my vr6?

I have a road on the way to work which is about 2-3 miles long and its 40 - 30 all the way along, its slightly down hill.

when i stick my vr6 in 5th or 4th and coast down it and then put my foot on the gas a nice huge cloud of blue smoke (oil) comes out of my exhaust. I know is prob due to valve stem seals or piston rings. I have no money to get this fixed at all and was wondering that if when i get to the top of the hill and start to go down, if i put my vr6 into netural and coast down it with the engine just idling, and then going into gear if i come to a red light or need to speed up, will this do any harm to my engine?

my engine does not smoke when starting up or driving, just on over run and then opening the throttle.

any thoughts appreciated.

neil

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but i can't see why it would damage your engine, its exactly the same as having your car on idle and when putting your car in gear whilst coasting is exactly the same as using your gears to slow down. When its out of gear its on tickover so the fact the car is moving doesn't make a difference

The engine will consume more fuel by idling than when coasting in top gear in those circumstances.

On the basis that doing it EITHER way makes no difference whatsoever to the life of the engine (you won't make it any better by idling it instead), I simply wouldn't change your behaviour.

agreed, you shut off injectors under no load conditions so you save fuel but idleing you will use more. it wont harm your engine, but some may say its unsafe as you have no real control if anything bad was to happen .

(Actually I've never seen the injectors shut off completely, but you certainly get much shorter injector timings on overrun than when idling, so the point is still valid.)

Wont you also lose engine braking also? Which could be unsafe.

yeah i realise that but trying to minimise the amount of crap i have coming out of my exhaust on over run! its rediculous!

I used to do that all the time when my original motor burned oil. Does no harm what so ever :D

You'll still get a puff when pulling away at the bottom though, just not as much. 8)

The engine will consume more fuel by idling than when coasting in top gear in those circumstances. (Actually I've never seen the injectors shut off completely, but you certainly get much shorter injector timings on overrun than when idling, so the point is still valid.)

Depends on the rpm and load. If you're cruising in 5th at 30-40mph, you'll be in the 1500rpm region at 2-3% throttle, so you will be burning fuel. No load, 0% throttle and above 1500rpm is generally when the injectors get turned off, and the do get turned off completely. Popping in the exhaust is residual fuel burning due to the latency of the injectors - which are 80s specials and therefore slow.

Popping in the exhaust is residual fuel burning due to the latency of the injectors - which are 80s specials and therefore slow.

I get this, does it mean my injectors need changing at all?

Popping in the exhaust is residual fuel burning due to the latency of the injectors - which are 80s specials and therefore slow.

I get this, does it mean my injectors need changing at all?

i get this too when changing gear or overrun, but on over run it does give a nice gurgling kinda sound!