Sign in to follow this  
smee

Another headlight switch question. (No, it isn't broken.)

Snapped up an unused late headlight switch from ebay the other day, went to put it in the car (95 VR6) and found it doesn't fit! The little L-shaped plastic prong on the back amongst the contacts is the wrong way round to fit the socket in the car. Closer inspection reveals a missing contact as well (not broken, made like that.) Checking the part no.(535 941 531 D01C) on VAGCAT leads me to suspect that it's a LHD switch as 3 different types are listed, this one, the scandinavian spec one for daytime running lights and the GB dim-dip one.

So, the (literally?) burning question is: Can I chop off the L-shaped prong and safely use it in a RHD car? Will it work properly? I'm not fussed about the dim-dip function, as I'll be putting the upgraded loom from my dead G60 into the VR shortly and will lose the dim-dip anyway. I just want to make sure that nothing disastrous will happen! :onfire:

A good while back I had an early Euro LHD headlight switch. One less metal prong and the L shape around the wrong way. Tried to sell it on Fleabay but had no takers in Europe so when mine died I just broke the L shaped plug off that one and used it fine with no problems.

I connected up a SEAT and Golf 2 switch temporarily when I was changing the colour on mine, same thing IIRC, L shaped lug removed and they worked fine

you could always check the connections with a test light or multimeter and make sure they operate the same as the original one