pete_griff

Pete's M5 - Fresh Paint inbound...

heres a pic of what i have tried to entice pete to buy, Mmmmm twin rotrexed 4.9v8 bet it sounds chuffing ace :D

so you gonna be selling your corrado after seeing this Kev.

How much is too much?! You're gonna struggle to make proper use of 400BHP without seriously breaking the law!

How much is too much?! You're gonna struggle to make proper use of 400BHP without seriously breaking the law!

better tell Kev, Shaun, James, Bobby, Charlie, plus a few more on here then that there corrado's have too much power then :p

better tell Kev, Shaun, James, Bobby, Charlie, plus a few more on here then that there corrado's have too much power then :p

Arrrrggghh, someone has let a Brussels bureaucrat loose on the forum!

I recently discovered a great way to stop 400hp being too much and breaking the law though. Some of you may be familiar with it, it's called a throttle pedal. Yes, that's right boys and girls, you can have zero power or maximum power, or anywhere in-between by regulating a floor mounted "throttle" with your foot. I know, crazy isn't it? Who'd have thunk it? You can actually make a 400hp car drive slowly enough to not break the law. What ever next? Very loud stereos with a similar device to make it less loud?! :shock:

Arrrrggghh, someone has let a Brussels bureaucrat loose on the forum!

I recently discovered a great way to stop 400hp being too much and breaking the law though. Some of you may be familiar with it, it's called a throttle pedal. Yes, that's right boys and girls, you can have zero power or maximum power, or anywhere in-between by regulating a floor mounted "throttle" with your foot. I know, crazy isn't it? Who'd have thunk it? You can actually make a 400hp car drive slowly enough to not break the law. What ever next? Very loud stereos with a similar device to make it less loud?! :shock:

:rofl:

Are you being sarcastic? :scratch:

LOL - I've tried to tell my mum about this Throttle pedal and also the concept of progressive braking but it's still On/Off switches to her :?

LOL - I've tried to tell my mum about this Throttle pedal and also the concept of progressive braking but it's still On/Off switches to her :?

:lol: never ceases to amaze me, my mother in law can only operate the throttle and brake as switches but manages to slip the clutch all the time, also, for some reason it's the manufacturer's fault it doesn't like pulling away in 4th :brickwall:

oh yeh and 99% of all cars available today will do more than the national speed limit, so what "should" we drive then??

Are you being sarcastic? :scratch:

Are you being serious? :scratch: LOL, of course I was being sarcastic :D :lol: Just a little Wednesday sarcasm to pass the time :lol:

Jim's a sound bloke, but that really was an odd thing to say on, A) a car forum and B) in a thread containing a 400hp M5 :lol:

We all know the consequences of driving too quickly and accept the risks :wink: It's been said before and I'll say it again. Speed isn't the problem, inappropriate speed is and I think we're all mature enough to know when and where to use that nifty little throttle pedal :D

Sadly not mate, I'm on call :( And I've just learned Stealth will be unveiling their Stage 1 VR6 Turbo kit aswell!!

Gah, don't say that. Anyone wanna buy a stage II Vortech? :lol:

btw, loving the car Pete. Sick pic of the engine!

Wish I hadn't opened my mouth! As usual, I'm the tw@t!

Not sure what point I was trying to make TBH - been working long hours, tired, etc. I guess I was just saying "How much is too much?" in a road car? Not from a morality or any other such point of view - I'd love a Veyron or something as much as the next man. Just sometimes I don't see the point. If I had 400BHP, I think it'd be enough! :)

oh yeh and 99% of all cars available today will do more than the national speed limit, so what "should" we drive then??

Mock all you like but part of me feels we should have speed limiters in cars.. none of us need to do 100MPH+ so why even put the functionality there?

Mock all you like but part of me feels we should have speed limiters in cars.. none of us need to do 100MPH+ so why even put the functionality there?

I rarely hit a ton these days...

Need license for my job.

Don't like the idea of this though.

Where would it end? :(

Indeed!

Powerful cars are just easier and more relaxing to drive. You don't have to plan ahead to overtake something, you just see a gap, squeeze the pedal and it's done. No need to row the gearbox trying to find some torque :D.

Powerful flexibilty is what it's all about. NOT for blasting around every where at the 10/10ths of the car's ability. That's for chavs, their Saxos and local housing estates. You can just as easily lose your license in a 1.0 Micra as you can a 16 litre Veyron, it's completely irrelevant. The 'point' of of powerful cars is the enjoyment they give to their owner just like any other extravaggance people choose to buy and enjoy. Some folk derive pleasure from just looking at their car, others get off driving it at 5000mph, each to our own :D

Fair point well made Kev.. not sure where I was going with my argument tbh! Think I'm just tired and grouchy at the minute - tis all :)

:lol: loving reading through this!

Kev i recon you should re-trade as a car "councellor" and highlight the error of people's ways!

on a more serious note i totally agree with the points you've made - it is easier and SAFER to drive a more powerful car due to all the benefits they afford over 1 litre micras etc.

that said, there are some fast cars, or comparitively fast (the evo being my case in point here) that still encourage you to drive hard all the time. if you've got ridiculous amounts of grip/power you're going to want to deploy it more readily and if the car "encourages" you to do it then you have to exercise LOTS of self control. as an example, even if i was just driving in a really chilled out and relaxed manner, if a nice bend came up (out on a country road here as i NEVER speed in town) in the evo it was a proper effort not to hoof it round the corner flicking the tail wide and grinning like an idiot! :nuts:

this is another reason why i'm loving the m5 so much - i tend to do long journeys, so the fact the m5 promotes a relaxing, quiet environment (even while doing "adequate" speeds!) is a good thing and i get out at the other end of the journey feeling fresh and happy. in the evo, where the journey would undoubtedly have been more fun, i would get out much more tired and not thinking about whatever i was doing.

NOTE TO SELF - MUST BUY WEEKEND TOY TO SCARE SELF IN!

that said though, when you turn off the traction control in the bm it does transform the car from docile sleeping giant to angry tail-happy whirllygig! and it is good fun - guess i'll just be forced to "live with it!" (sorry!) :lol:

by the way, am i the only one or do other people start to get really angry when they're a passenger with someone who just can't drive - especially the ones mentioned earlier who use the pedals like on/off switches?...

Lovely M5 8)

Your not the onlyone who gets angry as a passenger, my father in law uses an accelerator as an on off switch, it's the ONLY time I ever get motion sickness and now refuse to get in a car with him behind the wheel.

We need slow drivers, or there would be nobody to overtake and fast drivers to and envy :notworthy: [i just wish I'd got an engine in mine at the mo!!] Its all part of the rich tapestry of life :)

this is another reason why i'm loving the m5 so much - i tend to do long journeys, so the fact the m5 promotes a relaxing, quiet environment (even while doing "adequate" speeds!) is a good thing and i get out at the other end of the journey feeling fresh and happy. in the evo, where the journey would undoubtedly have been more fun, i would get out much more tired and not thinking about whatever i was doing.

We drove from Ipswich to Birmingham NEC for the Autosport International show last year in my mate's Evo 9 FQ 360 and what you say is dead right. We got out feeling numb, deaf and pleased to be out of it!! Highly strung cars like that are far from relaxing to drive and the BMW must be a moving couch by comparison - and a fast one at that!!

that said though, when you turn off the traction control in the bm it does transform the car from docile sleeping giant to angry tail-happy whirllygig!

Yay, just the words I was hoping you'd say. Getting more tempted now :D

by the way, am i the only one or do other people start to get really angry when they're a passenger with someone who just can't drive - especially the ones mentioned earlier who use the pedals like on/off switches?...

Yeah, my girlfriend. Her gear changes send a nasty jolt through the car that makes me wince every time. She tries to change gear and do the clutch movements all at once and as quickly as possible - bless her!. I try to explain to her about 'feeling' the gears in, but no, it's the car's fault the gearshifts are jerky. Not when I drive it they're not, LOL!

And she can't see at night either and generally drives 5-10mph under every speed limit. Needless to say, *I* drive 99% of the time.