Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Refurbing 288mm Calipers????

Just cleaning some of these up to paint and wondered what the best way is of removing all the rubber parts without damaging them?

Any helpful pointers would be great! :grin:

Ta

Matt

The rubber bits do just pull out, but can be tricky. I found that a dip in hot water softened them up and made things easier. The piston just pulls out, i have an air compressor and easiest way to get them out was just blow a bit of air behind the piston. Just pops out then!

The rubber bits do just pull out, but can be tricky. I found that a dip in hot water softened them up and made things easier. The piston just pulls out, i have an air compressor and easiest way to get them out was just blow a bit of air behind the piston. Just pops out then!

Cheers mate.

Should you just be able to get the rubbers out with your fingers? Dont really want to risk damage with plyers :?

They are tight, cant quite remember what i did, think i used a screwdriver with a blunt blade to help prise them out too. Or did i nip it in the vice and pull?? Think i did both.

They are tight, cant quite remember what i did, think i used a screwdriver with a blunt blade to help prise them out too. Or did i nip it in the vice and pull?? Think i did both.

Thanks really hot water did the trick.

I dont have an air compressor to get the pistons out however. Any other way to do this?

Bit worried since I have been washing them that water may have got passed the inner piston seal.

when you reinstall the pistons, are these refitted with grease or with brake fluid as a lube?

when you reinstall the pistons, are these refitted with grease or with brake fluid as a lube?

The Bently manual specifies that you need to 'coat seals, pistons and cylinder with VW brake cylinder paste or equivalent before installing' .

This is relatively expensive, at £30 for a tube that would be sufficient for oh-so-many cars !!

If you are on good enough terms with the parts/service people at your dealer, you may be able to scrounge enough to do a couple of sets :) .

I dont have an air compressor to get the pistons out however. Any other way to do this?

Have a look at the tip I wrote up here :-

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 23&t=86433

Cheers John will see if I can cobble something together. Good tip!

Wish I had just left the calipers now as they were working fine if a little rusty, oh well LOL