Sign in to follow this  
poll250

Main Beam stuck on

Hey,

Had a look around but couldnt any reference to this so here goes:

Fitted an 'uprated" loom I've had lying around for a bit last week. Initially I tested it to make sure everything worked and it seemed fine, lost side lights but dip and main beam behaved well. I then wrapped the connections in insulating tape and put everything back together again. \

Now when I turn my lights on all I have is main beam! pulling the stalk doesnt change anything, the little mainbeam light in the dash is permanently on! I took a look at the connections and they seem fine, I had a disconnect the main beam wire from each light as a quick-fix.

Does anyone know what it might be? Headlight switch gone or indictator stalk?

Andy

Had something similar happen to me, the main beam worked fine until i put full beam on and the main beam just turned off with no full beam :lol: - i did wonder why when i flashed people to let them go they didnt react, thought it was them being daft. But no the full beam didnt work :lol:

Anyway, the problem was that water had got into the relays, because id just used insulation tape round them. Would be worth taking the relays out nad taking the cover off them to check if water has got inside. If that is the case, maplins sell the relays you want. I've now put my relays in a small bag and sealed with insulation tape. Doesnt look pretty but stops water getting in, plus you cant really see it too much cos its tucked between the passenger headlight and battery.

Make sure your relays are ok in the loom, mine went pop and left my main beams on all the time. Took the loom off and everything worked fine again.

Good plan with the relays, will get to Maplins on the way home and pick a couple up.

Thanks,

Andy

also did you unplug the yellow wires from the resistor hidden in the nearside wing behind the light

that can cause problems if you dont !!

Hmm this has got me confused!

Went to Maplins after work and bought two 40A relays (they didn't had any 4 pin 30A) and a couple of 30A fuses.

Fitted everything in the carpark as it was nice and bright. Everything seemed to be ok for a few mins, I could flick the stalk from main to dip ok, but then I started my car again after putting everything back on, it was back to normal: main beam light on the dash won't go out! I was thinking that maybe I've trapped a wire that puts full beam on? Although I'm not even sure if that's possible...

Any ideas?

Hmm this has got me confused!

Went to Maplins after work and bought two 40A relays (they didn't had any 4 pin 30A) and a couple of 30A fuses.

Fitted everything in the carpark as it was nice and bright. Everything seemed to be ok for a few mins, I could flick the stalk from main to dip ok, but then I started my car again after putting everything back on, it was back to normal: main beam light on the dash won't go out! I was thinking that maybe I've trapped a wire that puts full beam on? Although I'm not even sure if that's possible...

Any ideas?

Did this get solved? Got same prob after fitting HID kit :(