Sign in to follow this  
JonnyVW

KW Varient 1....any good?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a set of coilovers for my 93 VR6 Corrado.

I'm considering a set of KW Varient 1's but wasnt to sure what they're like and was hoping to get some reviews from some of your guys that run them or know of anyone using them?

Also; has anyone used Weitec Hicon GTN coilovers? I've heard good things about Weitec in the past...

Basically; I don't want anything TOO hard.....to the point where I won't enjoy driving my car. Comfort is now taking a more important role over slamming her on her belly....I'm too old for that now!! lol

Any advice is much apprciated!

Jonathan =)

Hi i have just had a set fitted on weds, drove in with the vr standard set up which was well worn, six hours later after some other bits where fitted and the Weitec Hicon GTN coilovers on! Drove about 50 miles back home, massive differance and was well happy with the ride, was dropped about 50mm i would say. Cant wait to drive the car on some dry tarmac!

The KW's tend to get very good reviews, ill probably give them a go when i throw the FK's in the bin :gag:

Neil.

Hey mate, Im running on the V1's...

The ride quality for me wasn't a drastic change for the standard setup (which I guess u can argue was used, but then the car had only done 50k on it)

Sure there's a couple of bumps u can feel more than usual, but then if ur lowering the car what do u expect? :lol:

IMO, the KW's are the best purchase I've made for my 'rado so far :grin:

Hope this helps mate

The ride quality for me wasn't a drastic change for the standard setup (which I guess u can argue was used, but then the car had only done 50k on it)

Sure there's a couple of bumps u can feel more than usual, but then if ur lowering the car what do u expect? :lol:

Hope this helps mate

I second that :grin:

kw's are awesome, massive difference imo!! but i brought the car with them fitted and it has anti roll bars to which must help!! wouldnt EVER change mine though now 8)

Hope this helps mate

I second that :grin:[/quote:4au7pgae]

and i third that!

hmmmmmm.......KW's I guess are the ones to go for! hehe Thanks guys for your input!! =)

I just noticed on Venom that they have KW V1 BASIC. How many variations can 1 company bring out?

Anyone here using them?

hmmmmmm.......KW's I guess are the ones to go for! hehe Thanks guys for your input!! =)

I just noticed on Venom that they have KW V1 BASIC. How many variations can 1 company bring out?

Anyone here using them?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the basic ones aren't plated or something, so they have less corrosive resistance...I think...

In essence I think you're right but as I understand it the cheaper ones are plated but the INOX have a stainless steel body hence better corrosion resistance.

In essence I think you're right but as I understand it the cheaper ones are plated but the INOX have a stainless steel body hence better corrosion resistance.

Ah I was gonna say the more expensive ones were stainless, but thought they both were for some reason! But then that would make them have the same level of anti-corrosion...d'oh! Lol

Definately get the INOX ones - no brainer. Mine have been on for about 8 months and have got all kinds of crap over them. Though give them a wipe and they still look new! :D

I took delivery of my kw v1s this week, having read many hours on here & decisive help from people here

am greatly looking forward to fitting them next weekend :clap:

Ordered mine by phoning kw, £610 delivered & made sure they were inox line :)

Fay has just had KW V1 Inox fitted, a really good mix of ride comfort and handling improvement. Clicky The ride is firm over a standard car but the improvement in handling is way worth it. They are one of the smoothest riding coilover kits you can get, most are much too hard.

Weitec GTN are also very very good but you can't get them as low as some people like (the rear damper only has fixed collar adjustment in steps), that said the lowest rear setting is perfect for UK roads and the best handling compromise anyway. The cost saving is obviously pretty good if your not worried about having stainless bodies, copper slip them up and you'll be able to move them in 12 months.

Fay has just had KW V1 Inox fitted, a really good mix of ride comfort and handling improvement. Clicky The ride is firm over a standard car but the improvement in handling is way worth it. They are one of the smoothest riding coilover kits you can get, most are much too hard.

I had a go in Fay's car today. At first I was a little bit worried that they would be too hard. They felt harder than my Koni/Pi setup, but on the move they are really supple, the damping is spot on, and I was attacking corners even faster than I would have in my own car.

I think I might be buying some at some point. :)

I had a go in Fay's car today. At first I was a little bit worried that they would be too hard. They felt harder than my Koni/Pi setup, but on the move they are really supple, the damping is spot on, and I was attacking corners even faster than I would have in my own car.

You must Tom, i cant praise them enough. They are hardER, but like you say the damping on them is brilliant!

Go on lad!!! :D

I need to pay off the work I've already done on the car so far! Lol.

TBH I was a little unsure as to how they could be *that* much better, but I think they really are. Fay's car handled absolutely lovely.

I need to pay off the work I've already done on the car so far! Lol.

TBH I was a little unsure as to how they could be *that* much better, but I think they really are. Fay's car handled absolutely lovely.

Indeed mate. Before i got mine, i was unsure if they were as good as people had said. Im in agreement, they are exceptional!

On my suspension test route, their is a stretch of dual carriageway with a fast left hander with a dip in the tarmac mid corner. My Koni / Pi and most others I've driven almost bounce from the inside lane to the outside when driving over. The KW's just soak it up without any drama at all... not found anything better yet 8)

2 days of ownership down and they certainly get my vote :clap: I'm bowled over by the way the car handles now, it's so surefooted and an absolute pleasure to drive 8) Def get the V1s, I'd be amazed if you regretted it!

Hey guys,

I guess is HAS to be the V1's!!!

Appreciate the advice from you all!! :salute:

I better get saving!!!