brunt_star

vr6 big brakes

Hi i'm looking to put the biggest brakes on my vr6 that i can within reason.. (possibly 312 size disc)

i was wondering what hubs i will need? do i use vr hubs that come with 288discs (i've been told these are different from the earlier models with the 280discs)

I would also like to fit some big porsche, brembo, willwood, ap calipers or similar...

please can anyone help? has anyone done the same conversion on their mk2 or mk3? a fitting guide, some pictures and a place i can get the adapter plates for the calipers would be fantastic! thanks

all VRs came with 280s mate.

312mm is a popular upgrade which it seems you know of.

I will be going for Seat 323mm as others on here have, along with some Brembo 4 pots.

Use the search as this topic has been discussed many a time & there is plenty of info..... hope this helps a little. I have been researching brakes for the C for a good while. In summary its down to: budget, use, engineering ability. When all these are known there is usually an obvious route :D

There are guides kicking around the place for brake conversions.

Basically you can use the same hub, its the carriers you need. under standard wheels you can fit 288's, what i don't know however is if you can fit porsche brakes on 288's. People use carriers from seat cupra r's (leons use 323 and ibiza's use 312's i think) but they are hard to find and expensive for obvious reasons

Hi mate

Good luck with your search for everything once you decide on the setup you want. Remember 312's off an Ibiza are 4 stud and 312's off a mk4 Golf/ TT will be 5 stud.

I'm pretty sure any of the calipers you mentioned about won't fit onto 288 discs as they need thicker discs than these are. for example the 323 Cupra discs are 28mm thick and are perfect for bigger Brembo 4 pots (Aston Martin, Cayenne etc), Boxster Brembos fit a 25mm disc such as the 312mm TT.

As for carriers, this link might be useful to you-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180440946918&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I do know of a very nice man that could have a pair of awesome Aston Martin calipers sometime soon (for sale, edit forgot to put that bit in first time round!) :shock:

What size wheels do you have/ want to use once the brakes are fitted? This could limit you to disc size. Just do as much research as possible to make life easier for yourself.

Hi mate

Good luck with your search for everything once you decide on the setup you want. Remember 312's off an Ibiza are 4 stud and 312's off a mk4 Golf/ TT will be 5 stud.

I'm pretty sure any of the calipers you mentioned about won't fit onto 288 discs as they need thicker discs than these are. for example the 323 Cupra discs are 28mm thick and are perfect for bigger Brembo 4 pots (Aston Martin, Cayenne etc), Boxster Brembos fit a 25mm disc such as the 312mm TT.

As for carriers, this link might be useful to you-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180440946918&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I do know of a very nice man that could have a pair of awesome Aston Martin calipers sometime soon :shock:

What size wheels do you have/ want to use once the brakes are fitted? This could limit you to disc size. Just do as much research as possible to make life easier for yourself.

Some sound advice there from another brake perve :grin: :dorky:

Does anyone know how much clearance you need between the disc and inside edge of the spokes to fit boxster-s brembos?

I've got a set coming (cheers Mort!) and I'm gonna use my current 312 discs.

Thanks,

Andy

Does anyone know how much clearance you need between the disc and inside edge of the spokes to fit boxster-s brembos?

I've got a set coming (cheers Mort!) and I'm gonna use my current 312 discs.

Thanks,

Andy

Leon / Boxster calipers will need around 45mm clearance I reckon. You won't really know for sure until you offer the wheel up after fitment because it depends on the disc offset and consequently how far in, or out, the carriers mount the caliper.

thanks for all your advice guys.. i'm definately getting closer to making a decision now..

i think i'm going to go for either the porsche boxster rear calipers on 312 with the carriers for sale on ebay or the porsche fronts with 323s

i have 17 inch bbs LM's which i will b running using pcd adapters so shouldn't have any issues with caliper clearance

i still keep seeing the evo brembos going for better money tho.. but can't find anywhhere that does carriers?

also are the leon cupra brembos the same as boxster rears?

leon cupra r brembo are different boxter s rears

u will need 312x25mm discs with the boxter s rears and 323x28mm discs with the cupra r brembos

Hi can anyone give me links or phone numbers for where i can find some carriers to fit the boxster s rear calipers.. iwill be buying some calipers in the next couple of weeks so need them soon ish. i know there is already a link on this thread but it doesn't work.. thanks adam

I just want to know... I can buy two front calipers from a Golf IV 2.8 FourMotion.. can I use them on my 312mm upgrade?

Im thinking if they are perhaps bigger than the other MK4 calipers that people uses and does use any other hose than the Goodride kit contain to convert?