Sign in to follow this  
Bullfinch

Corrado tool-kit, the basics

Having owned my latest C for 6 months I think it's time I put together a little tool-kit. Now I'm not going to mess around with the engine, brakes, suspension etc - I'll leave that to the experts. More it's a case of having the right tools for small-ish jobs - interior trim, dashboard, headlights etc. I've got the usual stuff - screwdrivers etc but is there a particular socket set that's worth getting. Any other tools that people think are must haves?

The screw driver that comes as standard with the wheel brace and a can of wd40....cant go wrong :D

something to open the coolant expansion tank with :lol: i've had to hit it with rocks before

Cough....MK4 coolant tank upgrade....cough....

something to open the coolant expansion tank with :lol: i've had to hit it with rocks before

Cough....MK4 coolant tank upgrade....cough....

its on my list 8)

I can recommend machine mart for reasonably priced socket sets etc., even if you're not planning anything major! After all you need a 24mm (IIRC?) socket just for swapping the steering wheel!

Other stuff I've found useful over the last few years:

A small right angled ratchet screwdriver plus bits - VW have a nasty habit of hiding interior screws in vents and other places you can't even fit a stubby screwdriver!

Decent set of metric allen keys - ball ended are handy.

Soldering iron, heatshrink and a decent ratchet crimp tool (B&Q do a handy set with a good assortment of connectors) because unless your corrado is as it left the factory, some f*ckwit WILL have monkeyed about with the wiring, somewhere. :brickwall:

Mini maglite, for when you're lying upside down in the footwell trying to trace a random wire in the dash. (see previous point!)

Halfords do a set for around £20 that is perfect for you. It comes in a zip case and it even slots in neatly under the rear armrest. It has sockets, driver bits, electrical tape, pliers, adjustable spanner, cable ties, wire brush, knife etc etc. I've had mine for around 7 years and it's had a huge amount of use. They still sell them.