Sign in to follow this  
OSV

Tailgate strut bolts (parts guru help please)

Can anyone offer any help or advice. I'm looking to replace the four screw headed bolts that fix the struts to the tailgate. Enquiries at the local dealership suggest they are obsolete?? Anyone know diiferently?

If they are obsolete firstly does anyone have or know where I can get new old stock items or perhaps of a suitable OE style substitute ( correct in function and appaearance). Alternatively mint second hand items?

Thanks

I was going to change mine to Stainless items a while back, you should be able to buy them from a Stainless supplier, they are standard screws.

have you tried ARZ Tuning mate, pretty sure they still stock all the oe hard to fing bolts/screws etc, and i'm also pretty sure you can get the front centre consol bit new from them.

karl

Apparently the original (part no. N 014 140 5, fillister hd. M6x15 bolt) was dropped on the 01/09/08 and the replacement listed is N 100 292 06 (oval hexagon socket head bolt).

My originals cleaned up lovely with a soft wire brush. [suede type] Now protected with a fine film of Waxoyl. :D

You have two options in stainless steel . The closest to the originals are Phillips Pan Head machine screws. You might like to consider Socket Head button screws as an alternative.

Both are available from Stagonset.co.uk in small quantities. The Pan Heads are 20p each and the Button Heads are 29p a time. The size that you require is 16mm M6.

Hope this helps.

You have two options in stainless steel . The closest to the originals are Phillips Pan Head machine screws. You might like to consider Socket Head button screws as an alternative.

Both are available from Stagonset.co.uk in small quantities. The Pan Heads are 20p each and the Button Heads are 29p a time. The size that you require is 16mm M6.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone.

Only one screw head was rusted the threads are perfect as are the other bolts. Went for the Phillips pan head as a near stock replacement as above, thanks.

Attempted to replace all 4 of mine today as they were rusty to varying degrees - The ones nearest the back each side were no problem but the other is hidden by the strut cylinder. Any suggestions on how to get to it, perhaps remove the circlip and pop out the retaining pin that holds the strut into the bracket?

Some pics below, before and after:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfCorrado Tailgate Strut Bolts 001.jpg[/attachment:3vh46n9t]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfCorrado Tailgate Strut Bolts 002.jpg[/attachment:3vh46n9t]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCorrado Tailgate Strut Bolts 003.jpg[/attachment:3vh46n9t]

Corrado Tailgate Strut Bolts 004.jpg[/attachment:3vh46n9t]

If anybody else wants to replace theirs with St/Steel ones, I can now supply them @ £1.50 a set of 4 posted. Contray to popular belief and depending on it's grade, St/Steel can rust (normally to a lesser degree) so these have been Nitric Acid passivated which removes any ferric contamination from the surface of the material and therefore keep them in great condition for longer.

Ian.

You have answered your own question !

As you say just take off the circlip,and pull out the pin,do one side at a time,you might have to prop the boot up with something, as IIRC one wont hold it up.

dont bother taking out the pin, it can be very tight and may break the bracket.

just pop the other end off the ball and it will swing out of the way of the screw, make sure you take the little pin out of the socket part of it or it wont come off.