Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Corrado blower motor...

I can't believe how crap the standard heating is, I get quicker results blowing the windscreen with my breath than I do with the air vents. I guess the main problem is the MK2 Golf Blower motor.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to improve this? Later Passat Blower motor maybe?

Nothing wrong with the blower mate - MK2's were awesome!

Either new motor / resistor pack or more likely you have a 'flaps' issue :lol:

Weird but I always find that the Corrado heats up to deliver warm REALLY quickly?! :) I can get the car out of the garage, drive it up the road and about 2 minutes later be getting nice warm air out of the vents..

My wife loves driving the Corrado on a cold morning as it spews out warm air within less than a minute of starting,

I think it's a combination of the 16v's short distance from the main head water outlet to the matrix and the fact that valver heads tend to run warm and warm up quick.

It's so much better than the 1.6 16v mk4 we have, that has always taken much longer to give you warm air even if the engine gets to temp far faster than the corrado does, you can't beat air con for demisting though, and the father-in-laws mondeo quick clear front screen is brilliant too.

I'm with Pat McCrotch!

It take an age to get warm air out of my 1.8 16v - 15-20 mins plus, or about 4 or 5 miles!

Anyone know if this can be remedied?

My two-pennuth :-

I have always considered that the C is one of the quickest and most effective heaters of any car I've owned - except when the blower motor decided to go 'awol', as it does regularly. All speed settings work most of the time, then for no apparant reason they are 'dead' - then they come back to life of their own accord. Dry joint somewhere I guess. Must get it tracked down before next winter, lol.

I'm with Pat McCrotch!

It take an age to get warm air out of my 1.8 16v - 15-20 mins plus, or about 4 or 5 miles!

Does your car warm up properly - i.e. will the temp gauge get to mid-way quite (10 mins) or does it sit below mid-range until you're sitting in traffic? Wondering if your thermostat is stuck open.. consequently it'll take ages for the engine to get any real heat in it...

Yeah, I was thinking about this too Neil.... providing the fan sounds like it running at the correct speed and the car is warming up quickly as it should then this is what might be up....

The VR6 has a 9.5 Ltr cooling capacity (10Ltr on an Auto!) which is almost twice what a 4 Cyl car has... becuase of this and the extra water ways on the VR6 engine, one of the fuctions of the Aux water pump is to push water in and out of the matrix...

Now on your car the feed pipe to the matrix blew after we picked it up and I remembver it just ripped the pipe in half, now it's not happened again and may have just been an old pipe but I suspect that your Aux pump may not be working as effectivly as it should - maybe broken impeller due to old water pump debris?

Maybe worth a look mate and also see how hot the feed and return pipes are getting and if water is circulating or not.

The other thing it could be is one of those eBay £15 Heater Matrixes - they have about have the capacity of the VAG ones

Definately have a problem. If i put my blowers on hot and 4 its like being in a sauna. I reckon it the best heater of all the cars I have

How old is your matrix? Mine was an original and after 16-17 years it had just blocked with dust and fluff which I couldn't shift, meaning I had to change a basically sound matrix cos it was dirty! :camp:

I don't think Neil's problem is the heat output. There's nothing wrong with his coolant system, it all works as it should.

I'm fairly certain the problem is his heater box flaps being out of synch with the control panel and therefore not directing the full force of the air out of the dash vents.

His air direction knob is jammed, so a fairly big clue right there :D

The air direction dial performs two functions. It pulls the upper flap (screen and face) whilst pushing the bottom flap (feet) at the same time. The two are carefully syncronised in order to push the air to the desired vents.

If the screen cable jams (common, as VW made it too short), and people keep forcing the heater dial, the bottom flap's control lever can jump teeth and then won't close fully. Air from the blower then just seeps out with little force from any of the vents.

In extreme cases, forcing it will also break the mechanism on the heater panel.

The original screen vent cable is a short blue one and appears to have been superceded with a longer black one, which is what the dealer gave me when I replaced it. Since fitting that a few years ago, I've never had any issues with the heater panel.

At the same time I also discovered alarm fitters and DIY folk like to cable tie various things to the screen cable, which doesn't help!!

If you're having problems, take the heater panel out and unhook the cables off the flow direction dial. Now push/pull the cables by hand. If you can't open the vents by hand, there is no way on earth the dial will either!! The screen vent can be very stiff until there's enough heat in the heater box, but the foot vent opens very easily. The screen vent is ny on impossible to get to without removing the dashboard, so try your best to try and free it off. A new cable goes a long way to helping it.

i changed on my first vr6 the heater controls, all the bowden cables and bought a 2nd hand heater box as the cogs on the original were well fooked.

took about 1.5 days to do, but the end result was a corrado you could have a sauna in.

brilliant advice as always kev, my directional dial is doing exactly as you described and i've been out laid upside in my car trying to figure out whats wrong but was too cold because its started snowing.

Kev looked at the car yesterday and confirmed the flaps were all over the shop.

Just need to wait until summer now. No way I'm touching brittle obselete trims in freezing temperatures :lol:

I'm with Pat McCrotch!

Does your car warm up properly - i.e. will the temp gauge get to mid-way quite (10 mins) or does it sit below mid-range until you're sitting in traffic? Wondering if your thermostat is stuck open.. consequently it'll take ages for the engine to get any real heat in it...

my motor takes this long to warm up...can I try to fix the thermostat quickly? today