Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Question about mk3 Golfs, cos this forum knows all!

Rather then mess about asking the primadonnas on ED38 I thought I'd post here as somebody is bound to know...

Will lowering springs from a 1997 golf gti fit my girlfriends 1995 golf 1.4?

Sorry it's not rado related

Yeah should be fine as they didn't change the pigtail size on MK3's like on the Corrado.

I'd match them with a set of VR / GTI Gas shocks or Koni's maybe - ie shouldn't be used with standard shocks

Yeah should be fine as they didn't change the pigtail size on MK3's like on the Corrado.

I'd match them with a set of VR / GTI Gas shocks or Koni's maybe - ie shouldn't be used with standard shocks

See that's exactly what I'm talking about, this really is one hell of a forum

Thanks for the advice, My girlfriends Golf is getting slammed!

Didn't the MK3 GTI go 'plus axle' at some point? I know the 1.4s and 1.6s, Drivers etc never did, but I'm sure there are some subtle differences in the top mounts and springs between plus axle and non-plus axle?

Either way, yeah, they'll go on easily enough even if it did mean a change of top cap and mount (dirt cheap) at the worst.

surprised you did not get her a rado mate

Don't get me started on that one, I'm desperate to put her in a valver but she thinks Rado's are just plain stupid and unreliable money pits...No idea where she got that impression :D

Didn't the MK3 GTI go 'plus axle' at some point? I know the 1.4s and 1.6s, Drivers etc never did, but I'm sure there are some subtle differences in the top mounts and springs between plus axle and non-plus axle?

Either way, yeah, they'll go on easily enough even if it did mean a change of top cap and mount (dirt cheap) at the worst.

I'll keep an eye open for any subtle differences and replace as I go, thanks for the heads up

2L 8v GTI's, 2L 16v (ABF) and VR6 golf mk3's should all have the plus axle running gear, but as with the brakes they may well have changed the type of top mounts and springs over the production run.