northernvr6

Not a happy bunny !!

alrite lads thought you mite like to see wot i discovered when i took the head off my vr lets just say im not in the best of moods :(

bit backround about the car first i rescued this vr from a mate of mine who had the car sat on his drive for two years after the bottom end started knocking the plan was simple take engine out rebuild put engine back in!

This is wot i found when i whipped the head off yesterday

vr6crack2-1.jpg

vr6crack-1.jpg

the rear crack runs the whole length of the block !!!

so i am now in desperate need of a full bottom end i havnt had chance to take the pistons out too see wot there like but it doesnt look good theres a good gap at the front and back of each one.

is this common ? :shrug:

so if anyone has a full bottom end and is local (north east ) could you please get in touch.

cheers lads any help or advice will be greatly appretiated

i did an engine conversion on a mates golf got the engine from v dubs in newcastle but it was £600 over the odds i know but he wanted it there n then so didnt have time to wait for one to come up at a decent price.

just realised this was last year! ha

Edited by sleeper16
being a dosey goon!

This might not help as you are probably in a rush, but when i needed a replacement engine, I got it on ebay for £200. Took a chance, but it's never missed a beat and fired up first time.

So, def keep an eye on ebay too for a bargain. Shame, I posted recently about a VR6 block with 5 cylinders. Would probably have been ideal for you but imagine it's gone now.

Edited by jamiehamy
cos you don't get engine for £20!

Mate uif your still looking for an engine mine is coming out this weekend if you want it? obviously close for pick up

That block aint clever jeeezzz.....for a decent breaker i used to go to VeeDubs at Bill Quay North Tyneside, he might be able to help, good luck mate.....

Not common at all. The good thing is that bottom ends are quite cheap, I've seen them go for £50 on here. Bigpantsbaby has advertised some not that long ago.

Hi guys thank you for all the responses cant believe this was a year ago and i still havent got a engine back in the car !!

I put a ad up on a local vag site and managed to pick a block up for £50 plus the nice chap gave me 2 big boxes of vr spares. I had the block bored out to fit my high compression 83 mm pistons and the bottom end is nearly back together now. better be back on the road this summer or i wont be happy lol