Sign in to follow this  
d11ova

4 branch hitting steering rack ?????

hi all ........................

ive put a 4 branch onto my 20.16v corrado and im having problems with it catching the steering rack when you accelarate and it make the car drive bad as it vibarates through the steering wheel.

ive checked engine monts and they seem ok, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

is it intended for a mk3 golf?, the 16v ABF engine block in those is about 10mm higher, so a manifold made for that engine would be too low on a 9a (2L 16v) engined Corrado.

Did it come of a LHD corrado, i have read on here that It will interfere with the powersteering it was LHD putting on a RHD!!!

yeah, good point, apparently lots of the cheaper manifolds are LHD ones imported, ones designed for RHD would probably be Miltek/TSR or something early from GTI Engineering or BRM circa 1990.

Good thread on 16v manifolds on club GTI ATM.

could be that then lads, ill try heating it up and pending it down but if its no good ill be selling it and either getting another 4 branch on a standard manifold and downpipe, thanks for the help guys :salute:

I have a TSR (made by Milltek) one on my 1.8 16v, and it used to make a horrible noise when pulling away quickly in first gear. Finally cured by changing the front and rear mounts to Vibratechnics mounts. The front mount on it's own didn't work, but is fine now since changing the rear one too. The old mounts were in decent condition- just not firm enough to stop the movement.

Also, the gear cables were sat directly on top of it, and they melted through. The new cables are hooked out of the way (thanks DG Autotech for that idea :) ) and heatwrapped to stop this happening again.

Gonna make myself a heatshield too (dunno how!)- it gets very hot and I don't want it killing my new rear mount :?