C488ADO

god damn damper box again!!

ive doen a quick search not found what i need...

this is the third damper box i have blown to bits this last year!!!

why does this keep happening?

it always happens when you start the car first thing in the morning put the key in the ignition turn it over for the first time and bang fuck you ive blown up, there must be something wrong for this to happen....now i have bought second hand units everytime so far i dont want to spenfd the 30 odd quid vw want for a new one for it to blow up again ....

any thought s or idea peeps??

cheers

Know I am going to sound really stupid here but...What is a damper box? What does it look like and what does it do?

Damper box is the oval shaped black box ( revised versions have metal backing plate)

it sits next to the isv on the back of the inlet manifold, has two pipes connected to it

No it's just a plastic pot with some gauze in it. It's pressure that's blowing it apart.

Could just try bypassing it, see what happens. May affect the idle.

Bypass it. I used a nice shiny piece of silicone hose for extra bling. Its only there to "dampen" the noise from the intake has no performance effects at all i think except when they fail then they might leak and cause problems. I probably have one laying around if you really want to replace it. yours for the price of postage.

I used to get this. It's caused by a build up of petrol fumes and a slight backfire when cranking the engine when cold (happens more in the winter). I virtually stopped it by rebuilding the head (new valve guides & seals & skim). Then I had new (263) cams and a stealth remap and it totally went. Maybe a remap (change of timing) would stop it for you as I think it's the spark igninting the vapour past the slightly open inlet valves back into the inlet manifold. I used new dampers and the foam helps to prevent the flash back into the damper (it gets blown out of it eventually). The last one I bought (hopefully the last ever - 2 years now) was from VW TPS in MK was about £20 if I remember correctly.

Bypass it. I used a nice shiny piece of silicone hose for extra bling. Its only there to "dampen" the noise from the intake has no performance effects at all i think except when they fail then they might leak and cause problems. I probably have one laying around if you really want to replace it. yours for the price of postage.

It's actually used to dampen noise from the ISV not the intake.

There is no issue in by-passing it at all as it's just a sound suppressor, unless the extra noise starts to annoy you :)

Ah this is excellent news I have just by passed it with bits broken from the damper box how is the ibs2 set done as thus isn't used on them us it ?? I would just like yo make a nearer job of what I've fine...

Thank you all for your help very pleased

Holy thread revival batman!

Ok so heres the issue, car stalls/runs badly from start up (its a 94 coilpack VR6 before you ask). It was suggested to check and clean the isv, when i took it off i found that the damper box was taped up and seriously cracked (see pics) since i didnt have anything to replace it with dad coated the whole damper box in filler to try and stop any air leaks etc until i was able to replace it. Not realising what it was and that it could be bypassed before reading this thread

Anyway i tested the isv with a 12v source and it clicked happily so i went about cleaning it. I didnt have any gunk/petrol/carb cleaner so dad suggested white spirit. Not knowing any better i used it. Anyway put it all back together and drove it home from dads house and it cut out about 6 times...turned out i hadnt reattached the vacuum tube. So after reattaching the tube and taking it for a drive it didnt cut out but she now runs lumpy and smells rich, obviously it could be something else but could this be down to cleaning the isv with white spirit?

Please excuse the ignorance!

i would use a good mineral oil that is stable to heat. Some people have had good results with a PTFE spray. tbh, this is one good use for Slick 50! Just a few drops, then pulse it a few times to make sure the whole flap is covered. After cleaning mine, i sprayed it with WD40, pulsed it, left it to evaporate and then used a lube called Micro Mu. Pulsed it again a few times, cleaned off some of the excess and then refitted.

Edited by fla