Sign in to follow this  
stevef

VAG-COM

Just got a connector and downloaded the shareware version of VAG-COM.

Read my error codes first time but is unwilling to do any more.

Is the shareware version realy this restrictve or am I doing something wrong?

Is it better to just pay the registration fee?

Cheers

Stevef

... but is unwilling to do any more.

Can you elaborate a bit more - won't connect anymore, connects but says there are no codes.... ??????

If you downloaded it from ross-tech.com, it should work properly but will only give you certain functionality until you register it, which if you bought the lead from them, won't cost you anything.

VAG-COM certainly isn't a 'scan once' only app, unless they've rewritten the app......I'll have a look....

Looks like the application has been re-written:-

From Ross-tech's site:-

"Notes to registered users upgrading from older versions:

If you are using a HEX-COM or HEX-USB Interface, or you've previously received an activation code for version 310.0, this version should be "Fully Registered/Activated" immediately upon use.

If you are using a "Dumb" Interface and updating from a version older than 310.0, this version will remain shareware until you request a new activation code. In order to request a new activation code for this version, please submit this short form after you've tested this version on a car.

This version will not overwrite any previous Release or Beta. Users with legitimate activations for older versions can continue to use their previous version in parallel with this new release.

To remove old versions, simply delete the shortcuts from your Start menu and Desktop and delete the old C:\VAG-COM and/or C:\VAG-COM-Beta folders."

Kev

So from what I can ascertain from Ross-tech, version 310.0 (which I've got) is the full version but with restricted functionality until registered.

Version 311.2 (which you've downloaded) is shareware until registered and I think you are right, it allows you to scan the car once to confirm communication with the ECU.

Where did you get the lead from?

K

I used the release 311-2 shareware software once and it worked OK. I then tried to use a few features and it looked for other modules Ok and found the ABS. It read the ABS OK also.

When I then tried to read the ECU a second time it just looks for and finds it but goes back up a menu level so that it won't read the DTC's.

I suppose I will have the register then.

I got the connector from a link on EBAY not from Ross-Tech. Looks like it may have been false economy eh!!!

I got the connector from a link on EBAY not from Ross-Tech. Looks like it may have been false economy eh!!!

£30 + £12 p+p from Germany?

I think it depends on the type of interface,

a HEX-COM or HEX-USB Interface I believe includes some sort of dongle hence the need for registration,

If like me you have a generic RS232 (serial port) converter the shareware version should work, you just won't get

the full functionality.

I bought my interface from http://www.andywhittaker.com and it works fine.

Registration with Ross-tech costs $99, so should be about £55-60 after currency exchange and stuff like that now.

The one thing the I don't like about Ross-Tech's policies is that you have to remember to go through a "deactivation" step before any major changes to your OS or system, as it warns that any major changes *could* invalidate your registration. Even changing the clock is listed as a potential problem (which I can understand I guess). You'd then have to perform a re-activation afterwards. Presumably it's keyed against some hash generated from the windows registry.

Speaking as a person that very rarely boots windows, but when I do it's to reinstall or perform a major update, this could be extremely inconvenient!!

And as mentioned above, the more expensive ross-tech cables have a hardware dongle, so they will auto-activate any shareware software installation.

Ignore that mate....I've reinstalled VAG-COM numerous times and Linda Ross always gives me new activation codes. I've not had any issues with Ross-tech at all. They're a good bunch.

If you buy the lead from them, they bend over backwards to help you.

The basic UNI-COM serial kit is fine for 90% of users. Only the pro HEX-COM kit that comes in the fancy case is PC independant and doesn't require activation etc.

As I say, if you buy the basic UNI-COM or TWIN-USB, they will always provide you with codes if you need them.

VAG-COM is one of the best things I've ever bought for the VR. It's paid for itself many times over.

K

I have now registered with Ross-Tech and all is functioning correctly.

Should have baught the cable from the as well but we live and learn eh!!!

Hope it serves me well.

Stevef