tez180

engine temp getting too 100º in about 5 mins

well basically i took my 8v for a little run to the shops and i noticed it had reached 100º by the time i got there !

i hadnt ragged it just 20mph there its never happended before , could it be my the thermostat ? i checked the pipes and they were hot . oil temp on the mfa saying about 70º has anyone else had this problem ??

thanks

Very similar to what's happening on my valver. Going to be changing the thermostat on thursday so will let you know dude.

Cheers, Ross

100c is not too hot for the water. But the rate of temp rise is the issue. Check both top and bottom pipes to the rad, this will tell you if the wayer is indeed flowing through it. Also, do your heaters throw out a lot of warm air very quickly? Do you also know if the fans are coming on - could be that they dont. Perhaps there is a fault with the temp sensor.

Sounds like it could be the water pump on its way out, not circulating coolant properly. The pipes and heater will still get hot due to convection and heat transfer but it will warm up very quickly too. Worth looking at!

Yeah cheers lads, will look into it this week..

I need to use the car tomorrow. If it goes above 100º I will just have to pull over. :(

How much of a pig of a job is changing the water pump on the 8Valve? I will do the thermostat too.

And what sort of costs.

Cheers again.

Yeah cheers lads, will look into it this week..

I need to use the car tomorrow. If it goes above 100º I will just have to pull over. :(

How much of a pig of a job is changing the water pump on the 8Valve? I will do the thermostat too.

And what sort of costs.

Cheers again.

not too bad on an 8v at all.Plenty of room and easy access with simple tools and common sense. :thumbleft:

as dirtytorque says water pumps a nice and easy swap, make sure u get new rubber gaskets, themostats are pretty cheap too, i dunno if ive simply come across 8v with after market pumps but the ones i have all seem to have terrible impellers compared to 16v, i replaced 8v one with a spare 16v i had sat around when my friend had the exact same problem you are havin, fixed the problem straight away and has been fine since. i dont know weather 16v and 8v pumps share the same part code from what ive seen they should.

Diagnosed ti today further, is infact a switch that is f**cked on the rad.

So no need for a new pump... yet.

But I will uprate to the 16v one when I do.

Live thrend live!!! my 8 valve seems to run at 100 degrees constant... fan dosnt come on till 110 degrees. normal?... oil temp is a steady 106... Thoughts??