Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

DIY wheel refurb/paint

Hmm might have to invest in one of those....the wheels ive got already arent the right design/shape to add a different colour and would probably benefit from being polished properly, although they are a matt(ish) silver colour so could repaint and lacquer them i guess as they need sanding down and using some filler primer...

heres my attempt too takes time though

Noticed that you used 'red metal flake' this looks interesting, where did you get this from and how did you add it?

So out of curiousity how easy do you think it would be to DIY refurb something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-17-Wolfrace-4x100-4x108-ford-vw-clio-corsa-alloys_W0QQitemZ110461404287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=item19b803447f

I would probably paint the inner section black (or colour code pearl green) and probably silver around the edge

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4x-17-Team-dianamics-4x100-4x108-ford-vw-vauxhall-mx5_W0QQitemZ110493308740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=item19b9ea1744

again probably paint the inner section black (or colour code pearl green) and probably silver around the edge

i bought a proper spray gun all you do with the metal flake is add the desired amount to the laquer it was just time consuming not difficult

the other good thing is i scratched the wheel an all i had too do is use t-cut and the scratch went :clap:

i bought a proper spray gun all you do with the metal flake is add the desired amount to the laquer it was just time consuming not difficult

the other good thing is i scratched the wheel an all i had too do is use t-cut and the scratch went :clap:

Hmm ive got access to a spray gun just not really got the space to do it in this weather, the garage is currently full of other rado parts...as well as two cars! :lol: Need to get some wheels first too i guess...

11022010011.JPG

nitromors the laquer so it went back to bare metal and got polishin

14022010031.JPG

14022010030.JPG

14022010034.JPG

What rims are thos? :luvlove:

they are rota cups :D should be fitted by next week, hopefully. I always seem to fail with wheels :lol:

they are rota cups :D should be fitted by next week, hopefully. I always seem to fail with wheels :lol:

Will looks good when on :D

my first refurb completed with tyres on :-)

Colour match yo

Just remember, take time masking, plenty prep work, good coats of primer, plenty paint, plenty laquer, taking your time is the key :-)

good luck

if you want any advice give me a shout

That looks great, you've got the same colour as me and I'm thinking of doing my stroseks colour matched like that :)

I also have a hammered set of 17" multispoke TSWs. They are nice wheels but all kerbed, buckled and generally f****ed. Hoping to get some quotes for sorting them out as it's way beyond my skills

If I had plenty of money I'd be geting people paint them or even powdercoated, I dont mind doing it myself, I got free time to do it. Its not too difficult to do either

some of my efforts :D

before

IMG_1020.jpg

after

IMG_1017.jpg

928's colour coded with red lips :)

DSC00072.jpg

my compos which failed to fit :(

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

How would I go about fixing this myself?

New_288001037.784066.jpg

Is it sandpaper or wet and dry you use?

Depends how deep they are tbh mate, you may have to sand them right back fill and repaint. But if its light - wet and dry the scuffs.

you might have to use something like 80 grit there, maybe a little metal filler/bondo. maybe. they can be sorted I bet

EDIt I use a mousey sanding tool, much quicker

Yeah can definately be sorted, my speedlines had similar gouges out of them. but i sanded them back with a bosch sander and filled them and sanded it down flat. Sprayed up not bad. Just make sure you sand with a fine grit between paint coat and laquer as they'll come out rough... like mine did :oops:

Right, went to halfords earlier and got some different sandpapers, filler primer, silver alloy spray and lacquer.

I just need to do the front face and very outer lip, so might mask the rest if the the rest of the wheel off as they aren't really damaged. If it works out ok I might just redo all four in anthracite :D

Right, went to halfords earlier and got some different sandpapers, filler primer, silver alloy spray and lacquer.

I just need to do the front face and very outer lip, so might mask the rest if the the rest of the wheel off as they aren't really damaged. If it works out ok I might just redo all four in anthracite :D

Why not just do all 4 in anthracite to begin with :wink: I'd rather do them all once, then have to do all 4 twice. It will looks good as long as you take your time and let each coat dry.

Why not just do all 4 in anthracite to begin with :wink: I'd rather do them all once, then have to do all 4 twice. It will looks good as long as you take your time and let each coat dry.

It's only really one wheel that needs a refurb at the moment, the rest are in good shape. so I only bought enough to try it ot on one wheel.

The cars a daily so if it works out I might try and pick up a spare 17 so I can do each wheel properly one at a time or something.

It's only really one wheel that needs a refurb at the moment, the rest are in good shape. so I only bought enough to try it ot on one wheel.

The cars a daily so if it works out I might try and pick up a spare 17 so I can do each wheel properly one at a time or something.

Fair do's. Get some pics up when youre done :D

which filler did you get - i went and to Halfords and all i saw was the Isopon stuff, dont know if thats the right stuff? Thanks.

which filler did you get - i went and to Halfords and all i saw was the Isopon stuff, dont know if thats the right stuff? Thanks.

Thats the stuff i used and seemed fine.