Sign in to follow this  
John-M

Now back in MY day ... ...

i remember transformers and heman being on tv.. can i have a back in my day effort for that? although someone will come along and say they were reruns as im only 24 lol

Nil point! I have both of these on DVD these days :clap:

i remember transformers and heman being on tv.. can i have a back in my day effort for that? although someone will come along and say they were reruns as im only 24 lol

Nil point! I have both of these on DVD these days :clap:

your right i have the cartoons on dvd and the movies and have loads of the damm figures scattered around my house (the kids honest :lol: )

I dont't particularly recall any anti-japanese feelings in the car world, but definately the British motor-cycle industry was devastated by the Japanese bikes that came along...

Ah well, we all remember different things. I had a copy of the Private Eye in question in 1971 at Prestwick where I worked at that time with some older guys as colleagues. This was a few months before photo was taken.

Following are quotes from Internet -

If you think back to the mid-1960s, when the first Japanese motorcars were landed on our shores, Daihatsu, Datsun and Toyota were under no illusion. They needed to make an impression in a market that harboured strong anti-Japanese feelings (it was only 20 years after World War Two, after all). (Greenfleet.net)

The British never really warmed to Hirohito, the bespectacled, bow-legged 124th Emperor of Japan.

"Nasty Nip in the Air" jeered Private Eye when he visited London in November 1971, adding "Piss Off, Bandyknees!", in case anyone missed the pun.

Students turned their backs as Hirohito drove through London, former POWs called for a boycott of Japanese products. (Book revue in Evening Standard recently)

In late 1971 Emperor Hirohito of Japan was on his way to London for the first time in 50 years. It was also the first time since the end of World War II. Many in England and around the world viewed the Emperor himself as a war criminal on whose watch, China was ravaged, British colonies and prisoners brutalized and murdered, millions of Japanese citizens were killed. Needless to say, Private Eye could not let the visit pass without comment. It was a cold November day in England and the Emperor was on a plane on his way to England and the headlines read “There’s a nasty Nip in the air”. (Writer’s blog)

My Dad was a fan of Capris. He had MGs for a while but when my brother and I got too big to squeeze into the back to sit on the hard board 'seat' (always envied my older sister getting the comfy front seat) he bought Capris.

They were no collectors quality though as a submariner engineer he was (and still is) firmly of the 'fix it with what ever you have to hand' style of mechanic. His last one was the Laser and he sold it for peanuts to a very enthusiastic young sailor. I wonder if the hole in the wing has been properly repaired yet?

In fact, back on topic, back in my day you could squeeze 4 people into a 2 seater car, top down, no seat belts and bomb down the M5 to holiday with your Gran in Devon.

Though in 1976 the 'bomb down the M5' bit wasn't possible as it was gridlocked with traffic. But you could get out and walk down the middle lane to buy an ice cream from the van that had joined the traffic jam to make a fortune. :) Happy days

I've had 6 Capris from Mk1s through Mk3, my favourite being a 1980 2.0S in Silver with fishnet Recaros, RS 4 spokes it was superb. Some things don't change too much though

Silver Coupe---- check

Recaro interior------ check

RS wheels------- check

I turned 17 on the day (or day after) the seat belt regulation came in. Also I was a member of the Tufty club

Capri started to be tempting latterly, but they were Ford and rotted, so never went for one. "The car you always promised yourself" An interesting British phenomenon, you cannot deny.

Here are couple of items I posted last time it cropped up for discussion. I still have Motor Road test annual of 1971, too, in bits now. :(

As it happens I walked past an awesome Capri a couple of days ago, a black one and it looked mint! It also had a sticker in the rear window saying "The car you always promised yourself" which I thought was cool but didn't realise it was a slogan for them!

I always thought the Capri to be an attractive shape - nearly bought one, in Aubergine. Looking back, I'm so glad I didn't - not a colour to admit to owning :)

And yes, I do recall squeezing more than two into a two-seater, and driving around with no worries about seat-belts, health n safety etc.

Of course in reality a G60 or VR6 would murder a 2.8 Capri in a straight line - shows you how far things have progressed in 30 years.

If I'm not mistaken John, a VR would take an E-Type, on paper. Not seen it in reality though! :D

What I miss? Back in the day when a car had a starting handle. Battery flat, dig out the handle from the boot and pull it over, off you go. I even had a Mini with a starting handle that you opened the bonnet and used it vertically.

Vacuum driven wipers that slowed down or stopped when you put the foot down to accelerate or go up hills.

Several Minis that had marketable quantities of toadstolds growing out of the carpets because of the dampness caused by leaks from everywhere. Poking holes in the floor to let the water drain out.

Wing mounted parking lights. The list goes on and on, but motoring was a love affair and I still have the bug.

Greatest delight was thrashing an F36 Dennis pump escape with a straight 8 Rolls Royce engine. What a beatifull sound now lost to all the diesels that are in use now. Just like Corrados they had really crap lights and wipers.

Of course in reality a G60 or VR6 would murder a 2.8 Capri in a straight line - shows you how far things have progressed in 30 years.

If I'm not mistaken John, a VR would take an E-Type, on paper. Not seen it in reality though! :D

You're right. A VR6 is a lot quicker than an E-type in every way. Mind you there's something like 20 years between the two cars so it's a bit unfair to compare them really. In it's day the E-type was a pretty quick piece of kit. Most cars (even sports cars) in the 1960s could hardly make 100mph, let alone the 140mph(ish ) that the E-type did in it's day.

By way of an analogy I was at he MSE track day at Keevil yesterday and my (very modified) Corrado was about par performance with a friend's bog standard Clio 172. In a straight line he was pulling away from me! In an unmodified Clio! It just goes to illustrate what a big difference there is between a car designed in the late 80s (Corrado) and one designed in the late 90s (Clio 172). Compared to the other cars of the same age as mine I was a fair bit quicker than the track prepared 205s, Golfs and E30 BMW's which were there.