Sign in to follow this  
big ben

oh dear - G60 needs a rebuild

Yep, my mates G60 has been at jabbasport having an overhaul. They have done a great job and he has spent a fortune!! he got the car back and 24hrs later the oil light is beeping and engine is making tappit noises. He drove it back to his house, luckily he was only a mile away so it is as good as it can be...

Jabba are picking it up sometime this week, but i was wondering what everyone thought... I would think the oil pump is knackered, if so what could need replacing?

They have done a great job and he has spent a fortune!!

Obviously not I'd say.... what exactly was done - engine rebuild??

basically everything but; charger stage 4, pulley kit, stainless mani and jetex exhaust system, top mounts engine mounts, sensors etc etc. about 2k's worth!!

so he is left with the engine itself really, and looks like thats all going to be done :lol:

Well if they are picking it up i'm sure they will diagnose.

I guess the engine wasn't up to the extra stress placed on it by the other mods.

Most g60 engines are getting on a bit now.

Be interesting to find out what happened.

i will update when he finds out, i was just thinking i could give him some bad news before hand :lol: harsh i know :grin:

I had similar symptoms to this a while ago, it was one of the cylinders giving up resulting in a full engine rebuild :( .

I suppose its just a matter of waiting to see what Jabbasport say ! Hope its something less expensive for his sake

or could be loose charger feed or return oil pipe wich would loose the oil pretty rapid :eek:

basically everything but; charger stage 4, pulley kit, stainless mani and jetex exhaust system, top mounts engine mounts, sensors etc etc. about 2k's worth!!

so he is left with the engine itself really, and looks like thats all going to be done :lol:

Whats the pulley kit they've done? Do you mean just a smaller pulley?

they put a 68mm on i think, with chip etc... not 100% tbh, running a lot more boost anyway!!

when it was first coming on briefly i would of thought it was to do with the boost being high and a drop of pressure somewhere? but i rekon the oil pump is shagged and something seriuosly wrong has happened :pale:

Any news on what this was? just curious

jabba picked it up about a week ago. The guy doing it has been working on a Mk4 golf or something, his is next... Im sure we will know whats wrong with it early next week, will let you know the good/bad news!!

ok, update...

bottom end shagged due to oil pump failure! dont know the details but he is having a 2nd hand bottom end fitted that jabba have in stock, so not too bad. They are charging him £150 for it. So new pump, bottom end and labour. He is going to have an oil cooler fitted and maybe some other goodies for now

Call me a complete cynic..... but oil pump runs good for 20 years.....then car has work done that involves breaking into the oil circuit and 24hrs later the pump dies. I don't think I'd be paying anything for the block!

Call me a complete cynic..... but oil pump runs good for 20 years.....then car has work done that involves breaking into the oil circuit and 24hrs later the pump dies. I don't think I'd be paying anything for the block!

Most G60's are almost 20yr old now :wink:

At least Jabba are sorting it out for him. Despite all the horror stories spread around, I've always had excelent service from them.

It might even be my old engine getting fitted 8)

Most G60's are almost 20yr old now :wink:

At least Jabba are sorting it out for him. Despite all the horror stories spread around, I've always had excelent service from them.

It might even be my old engine getting fitted 8)

The extra will always find any short comings in an engine with the extra heat,forces not to mention enthusiasm going through it. :)

It does seem like the stresses of the modifications have just highlighted a weak spot.. I know Jabba take a bit of flack around here but I think £150 for all that is pretty fair, regardless of potential blame.