Sign in to follow this  
vagman

Cooling, I need your help!

The time has come to overhaul my cooling system, car is still running a little hot and i have a small pool of water directly below the thermostat housing area every now and again! Please i am going to undertake this job myself and would be grateful for all the advice i can get, i have dabbled a little with cars and i dont mind having a go. I have had a look for the thermostat housing parts list and cant seem to find it, i am going to order a new OE radiator just so i know its covered, i have also just got a new OE 3 stage rad switch along with some G12+ coolant! I want to get it done before the end of march before the hot weather comes. What sort of money should i budget for all parts, all tips and advive very welcome.

I had a similar leaking problem on mine. I just changed the two flanges on the engine (make sure you get the O rings too). For them, the thermostats and a load of G12 can't be much more than about £40? Easy job too, just make sure your ready for the torrents of coolant!

Hi people, i have a couple of questions please! First.... does the new 3 stage rad switch just plug/screw into the new rad, or do i need a O'ring or a bit of PTFE tape???

Also i have read the cooling guide, but i am still unsure to what is best/ use a bit of silicone when rebuilding stat housing or just put together with just the rubber seals alone???

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

When i did mine i just used the seal. While you are in there you might as well change the housing, stat, all seals..

Another piece of advice i was goven was dont go mad with the G12, it doesnt need to be too pure as the cooling properties of the G12 are different to water. I was advised it would lead to a 10% difference and hey presto when i drained and refilled to a less concentrated mix it was spot on.

Hi people, i have a couple of questions please! First.... does the new 3 stage rad switch just plug/screw into the new rad, or do i need a O'ring or a bit of PTFE tape???

Also i have read the cooling guide, but i am still unsure to what is best/ use a bit of silicone when rebuilding stat housing or just put together with just the rubber seals alone???

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

just use a bit of jet blue sealing compound around the rad switch (all plumbers should have some :D ) tbh ptfe tape will work too but i always use jet blue as i prefer paste rather than tape in plastic.

you shouldnt have to use silicone or gasket seal. if all the components and seals are new/good and the job is done properly it wont leak.

When i did mine i just used the seal. While you are in there you might as well change the housing, stat, all seals..

Another piece of advice i was goven was dont go mad with the G12, it doesnt need to be too pure as the cooling properties of the G12 are different to water. I was advised it would lead to a 10% difference and hey presto when i drained and refilled to a less concentrated mix it was spot on.

Cheers for that, ordered job-lot for cooling system also new senders and switch's and neuspeed stat! That should do it!