biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

Quote of Dutchdub on the syncro forum

"No cutting needed - you can keep the rear rallye driveshafts, the only thing you need to do is to change the inner CV with that of a 4Motion. That's it"

I take the new brake bias valve was cheaper than buying a new stock part? Also makes the brake lines look a hell of alot more tidy!

fit the wider vr6 syncro wishbones. there's your 10mm extra so you don't need to shorten the shafts. Then use front inner CV's off any mk2/3 GTI/VR6. 100mm.

Yep.. I'm going to weld the diff in place this weekend hopefully (if I managed to find a good welder in time), take the prop off and pinch the x2 100mm CV's I have from that and try and get it all to fit as it is. Was it just the VR6 syncros that had the 'plus' size wider trailing arms Paul? Mine are off a Passat G60. I think theres enough play in the current setup to make it work as it is! Went back outside and had a play and I think it might fit as it is! Will try and if not then I will source some VR6 syncro wishbones - take it I can press my 4-stud hubs into the VR6 syncro wishbones? cheers!

Quote of Dutchdub on the syncro forum

"No cutting needed - you can keep the rear rallye driveshafts, the only thing you need to do is to change the inner CV with that of a 4Motion. That's it"

I take the new brake bias valve was cheaper than buying a new stock part? Also makes the brake lines look a hell of alot more tidy!

yeah cool... was chatting to Marcel about it and he told me I would need VR6 syncro wishbones that are 10mm wider to make the difference. We'll see!

My brake bias cost me about 60 quid I think ?! VW one is crap - not worth the hazzle. Mine is very easy to setup once you've worked out which way to turn it! lol

man on a mission :D

Yep! Got to be done for track and sprint season! :)

i don't like those poxy bias valves that vw use, they don't work and they always leak.

Agreed!

Nt sure if it was just VR6's that had the wider track, not sure if they did GTI syncro's too???

Your hubs shold fit if they are rallye items, VR6 syncro shold have the 72mm bearings that rallyes use, not the 68mm ones that sycnro's (and early rallyes's apparently) use.

plenty more info on here http://www.vwsyncro.co.uk

Can you buy these wishbones new from VW?

At vast cost - maybe! Marcel (dutchdub) sells them i think (2nd hand), won't be cheap, but useful to know. I'm looking at custom adjustable wishbones at the moment.

Nice work, is that the kit frmo dutchdub?

With the haldex diff is it still poss to mount the rallye anti roll bar? or do you have to go custom?

If do you have to get rid of the rear ARB drop us a PM :D

i dont think there is the space to put it further back. t would hit the tank.

mine only has a few mm clearance to the tank.

blue95,

Yeah its a dutchdub kit - got to say it was very well made, fits very well! The ARB will fit as long as you move the casing for the haldex controller wiring. Easy fix. Thats a rallye item. If you have a larger VR6 syncro ARB then it won't fit.

PhatVR6,

No thats exactly where it should sit. I'm guessing it will miss the tank by about 5-10mm !

CoxyLaad,

Yeah sounds about right!

Cool, Haldex conversion sounds better by the minute. Dutchdub kit also sounds like a worthwhile investment!

PhatVR6,

No thats exactly where it should sit. I'm guessing it will miss the tank by about 5-10mm !

according to who? looks too far back to me compared to where the syncro diff sits.

PhatVR6,

according to who? looks too far back to me compared to where the syncro diff sits.

According to me! It might look further back due to the angle from which the picture was taken.. The front of the diff is and has to sit in the same place as the syncro item (where it bolts to the prop) and seeing as the syncro and the haldex diffs are the same length, give or take a mm or 2 it can't be sitting too far back! When the rear mount is bolted to the rear it sits in the same position as the syncro setup did - I have measured to be sure.

Mine sits in the same place as these ones that Marcel from Dutchdub has done and it clears the Rallye/Syncro fuel tank as you can see in one of the pictures...

As Coxy says.. I'll find out soon enough, should be able to trial fit it on monday night before it goes off for powder coating.

Fantastic work Ben.

I noticed in your sig you've got ?.? next to the phase 2 literage, you going to bore it out to 2.1?

you not running any inner CV joints then? ;-)

seriously though, the diff does look too far back, look a the angle the shafts are not running at, pointing forwards.

I'd have (and will) set the location of the diff based on the driveshafts, and have the prop shortened to suit if need be.

Fantastic work Ben.

I noticed in your sig you've got ?.? next to the phase 2 literage, you going to bore it out to 2.1?

:twisted:

I know I know!!!!!! :D

PhatVR6,

Fair play.. I just took the easier option and got the dutchdub kit. Will trial fit it tomorrow night and let you know. Your plan is a good one but I don't think the drive shafts are that much out tbh.. :)

CoxyLaad,

go on.. hehehe I haven't even made my mind up yet! lol I put 1.9L in my sig on Vortex but I'm thinking about a stroker kit.. so 2.1 or even 2.2 !

;-)

All welded up now and I hope to trial fit it tomorrow before it goes off for powder coating.. anyone know of a place that will do it cheap in the Guildford area?

Pleased with the welding, cheers Nick! ;-)