biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

Looks like the rear diff is "£$£"$%%, so I've sourced a replacment to be fitted this weekend. So a proper 4wd test drive next sunday hopefully. Thought it was odd that 4th was the earliest I got traction in the rain..

I was gonna say! no way would you be spinning them in 4th!!

Well done for getting it on the road at last.

thank guys.. I can't even explain the feeling... oh well I'll give it a go :D...

In the wet..

1st.. nah waste of time,

2nd.. nah wast of time,

3rd.. traction until 4k then all 4 wheels lite up and the whole car crabs up the road :D

4th.. a little wheel spin as boost builds but when traction hits... OMG it feels awesome (quicker than my old mans TVR - for sure!)

5th.. = stupid speeds :D

Seriously? John Malik's (stealth mechanic) 360hp 1.8T Rado sticks like schitt to a blanket and that's just FWD with a Quaife! Mind you, he is running Toyo R888s at the moment tho, damn good tyres, wet and dry. It pulled a 60 in 4 seconds dead at the pod.

It is stunningly quick. I seriously doubt anything other than a Supercar could give it a serious challenge! Could do with taller gearing though as it just runs out of legs too quickly.

Glad yours is up and running and giving a nice grin factor!

If it wasn't for student loans chap, what you see in front of you wouldn't be here today! lol :D

You a student?!!! :lol:

he wishes he was :lol:

Sorry for the later replies.. I bust my shoulder on tues evening and this is the first time I have been able to get on the internet...

jenks,

once upon a time!

PhatVR6,

I've got a new diff sourced so will be able to get it 4wd soon!

johnnyfication,

won't be at inters...

kevHaywire,

it was very wet and the road was prob a little greasy.. In the dry I reckon it would be very much more capable.. but I don't have a quaife!

Evening everyone... don't fit after market management to your cars, they don't work, they aren't as good as OEM stuff and they are expensive!

F'ing thing won't start??? why.. ??? this is getting beyond funny now, I've had it to the stage where I'm planning on breaking the sodding thing!! It just pisses me off proper style - EMS are f'ing crap !!! There is no reason why it should not fire first time! Nothing has been touched since last weekend!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Evening everyone... don't fit after market management to your cars, they don't work, they aren't as good as OEM stuff and they are expensive!

F'ing thing won't start??? why.. ??? this is getting beyond funny now, I've had it to the stage where I'm planning on breaking the sodding thing!! It just pisses me off proper style - EMS are f'ing crap !!! There is no reason why it should not fire first time! Nothing has been touched since last weekend!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

isn't emerald supposed to be good?

isn't emerald supposed to be good?

To be fair I wouldn't be able to comment.. Haltech on the other hand... "$£$$%$£"%%$&*^%&

No Ben.. i'm gonna lock this thread any other advertising parts from your car if you continue with this! :)

Pleeease - keep at it - sooo many people love this car!

quiet new here but gone through most of this thread and think your car is one of the best!

you seriously can't give up on it! looking forward to seeing it at some shows 8)

Yea we all get down with our projects.

How you saying go now

"Its not how good you make it, its how you make it good"

Feel like firing mine too mate not seen it for 3-4months having engine rebuilt again and blue joe is the same.

Chris, harra, and all the other aftermarket wannabes, take note....this is what I have said from day one, based on my own experience.

Ben, does the ECU have a function to fire off the spark plugs on their own with nothing else? My DTA used to have this diagnostic type function, and when my car just wouldnt start for any reason I used to plug my laptop in and run this. I would hear a couple of pops as the unburnt fuel in the bores went up, then when I tried to start it after that it would fire up ok.

OEM all the way for me, aftermarket is utter dog piss

Come on Ben you know once you get it to Jabba next week and its all done you will be happy again.

With you all the way Coxy. VW/Bosch spend millions on developing a management system then everyone takes it out as they think something designed by a guy in a shed in Sussex can do better....... erm HELLO!!!!

Bosch ME7 is a massively capable system and I would never go with anything other than OEM.

Jay

haltech is cheap, and thus, crap. just like megasquirt and all that other budget nonsense.

bin it and get autronic or motec. something that can actually map itself and has real cold start capabilities.

mist of this stuff is designed for race only, not for daily use. and of course, the unit is only as good as the guy who maps it.....

I will get the damn thing running but as soon as cash allows I'm going ME7... can't be doing with removing the flipping spark plugs and drying/cleaning them everytime it doesn't start.

Coxy, no my EMS doesn't have that function..

ME7 all the way, wouldn't use anything else for everyday use!

might go out now and attempt to start the bloody thing!

OK, just got it started. Although the EMS is crap the problem is a voltage loss somewhere. I have to jump the car to get a few more volts in order for the coils to work as they should. I need to just source this problem and fix it and then it might start better. But worthersee next 2 weekends, Stoner the weekend after then busy till end of June, so no time to do it :( .. oh well I'm sure it will be on the road sometime

try an keep at it mate, you've come along way building this beast. an it is awesome!!! :twisted: ask yourself how many other 'c's you've seen like this, 8)

(i know all this is easy for me to say sat here, but..)

Ben,

Stick with it - once it's done and dusted, you'll have a constant smile on your face when tooling around in it! Just look back at your post after you drove it last weekend - says it all!

Just to stick up for standalone ECUs... Mark's car is spot on with the MBE ECU. For motivation: it kept a Boxster S sweet from 40 - 100 without too much effort yesterday.

I look forward to seeing the car at No Rice / down in Dorset in the near future!

Cheers.

Ben - Sit safe in the knowledge that your not the only one having a nightmare of problems with your motor!!!

But as Lee said to me when I was losing the faith - If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!! But we do this to make one off's, mine will be, yours definatly is. And we'll both get there, sometime in the near future!

Looking forward to having a productive weekend on the C. I haven't touched it for a month.

I have the rear diff to swap over, prob easier said than done. Would like to tie back all the wiring in the engine bay and fuse all the custom loom I have, perhaps get the warning lights working for the MOT (indicator, hazards etc). And sort this damn voltage loss problem which I have a feeling is something to do with the alternator. I need to wire up one of the 2 small wires (blue wire??) to a switched 12v supply. I think this engages the clutch on the alternator to allow it to charge while the starter motor is turning the engine over. Hopefully this will solve the starting issue.

Also I would like to get it into the sun, wash it and take some nice pics of it :)

B

Evening all..

Just finished changing the rear diff for one that works. Took a couple of pics of the swap.. (see below). I took it for a quick drive as the sun was setting in my garden and I think its working as it should. Well put it this way when you launch the car @ 6k rpm on the grass its good fun ;-) I can get it to drift as well.. hehe.. Maybe if it rains a one off douhnut might be on the cards.. ;-) :) 8)

Lots to do tomorrow. Will try and get my sis to hold the camera and I'll get some vid footage of the car going side ways..

Ben

How wide are your feckin wheels! they look like they will stick out the arches about 4 inches!

I was bout to say the same! It looks a bloomin monster!