Sign in to follow this  
rolex

mk3 golf gti hubs/cv joints?? 4 - 5 stud

Would this work? useing mk 3 golf gt hubs and cv joint to do a 4x100 to 5x100?

Also got the disc/calipers/carriers, could you go 312mm in the future?

yes i think that would work. theres a 4 stud to 5 stud write up on here somewhere......

think you need some spacers making up to go 312 as they fit the widetrack set up.

obviously you need the 312 setup parts as well, gti's were 280 still i believe.

yep, read all the other threads werent sure if mk3 hubs and cv joints were the same as vr?

yep disc are 280mm was going to go vr wishbone etc when going 312mm

Anyone else got ny info?

I think Mk3 GTI bearing carriers have the ball joint in a different place (as Corrado VR6) and won't match up with Corrado 4 stud wishbones. You would have to change to wide track wishbones etc.

VR and Mk3 bearing carriers have their caliper carrier mounting about 10mm offset to the Corrado 4 stud bearing carrier.

Hope I haven't confused anyone.

thanks Dave

i can get my hands on a mk3 gti and was thinking i could use it to go 4 to 5 stud with it.

I think wishbones are the same vr and gti? so that would be widetrack?

and disc are 280mm so thinking they must be same as vr ones as well as hubs and cv's?

so if gti and vr are the same? (as in everything) i could use all of it for conversion?

??????? :lol:

thanks Dave

i can get my hands on a mk3 gti and was thinking i could use it to go 4 to 5 stud with it.

I think wishbones are the same vr and gti? so that would be widetrack?

and disc are 280mm so thinking they must be same as vr ones as well as hubs and cv's?

so if gti and vr are the same? (as in everything) i could use all of it for conversion?

??????? :lol:

Yes I think so but not 100% sure.

The mk3 GTI 5-stud hubs fit perfectly in the 4-stud hub carrier (using the 4-stud bearing). All you have to do is re-drill your disks to 5-stud and stick the GTI outer CVs on the end of your driveshafts and you're done.

Mk3 GTI wishbones and hub carriers are the same as Corrado VR6. Early ones have the same calipers and 280mm disks too, whereas later ones have 288mm disks and different calipers & carriers.

The mk3 / VR6 hub carrier assembly will not bolt straight up to a 4-stud car, as the geometry is completely different.

The mk3 GTI 5-stud hubs fit perfectly in the 4-stud hub carrier (using the 4-stud bearing). All you have to do is re-drill your disks to 5-stud and stick the GTI outer CVs on the end of your driveshafts and you're done.

so this is prob cheapest easyest way to go 5 stud? but couldnt go 312mm disc in future?

Mk3 GTI wishbones and hub carriers are the same as Corrado VR6. Early ones have the same calipers and 280mm disks too, whereas later ones have 288mm disks and different calipers & carriers.

The mk3 / VR6 hub carrier assembly will not bolt straight up to a 4-stud car, as the geometry is completely different.

its an early gti, so if i was to transplant the lot (hubs,hub carriers,cv's,wishbones,discs,calipers,carriers) i would have 5 stud widetrack? just need to change arbs, possible.

or do i have it wrong again? :lol:

so this is prob cheapest easyest way to go 5 stud? but couldnt go 312mm disc in future?

Yes, and yes you can. You need to mill the 312mm caliper carriers to fit the 4-stud hub carrier as the disk offset is different. There is a thread halfway down the page from this one detailing how to do it :p

its an early gti, so if i was to transplant the lot (hubs,hub carriers,cv's,wishbones,discs,calipers,carriers) i would have 5 stud widetrack? just need to change arbs, possible.

or do i have it wrong again? :lol:

Hubs & carriers, wishbones, disks, calipers & carriers, complete driveshafts, tie rods, steering rack, steering column UJ, arb

You can get away without swapping the rack and just doing the tie rods, but I think you need a washer between the tie rod and rack to correct the spacing difference. The 4-stud tie rod has a boss on the end, whereas the 5-stud doesn't, but they are the same thread.

:cat:

Yes, and yes you can. You need to mill the 312mm caliper carriers to fit the 4-stud hub carrier as the disk offset is different. There is a thread halfway down the page from this one detailing how to do it :p

:cat:

:D

thank you. :salute: