Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

What about an E46 M3

Fair enough! I just assumed they'd be fairly closely matched! :)

Edit : Just found this post on a BMW forum: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=235735

Laptimes from the Ring:

E46 M3 CSL 7:50

E92 M3 8:05

M6 8:08

E60 M5 8:13

E36 M3 (Euro/321 hp) 8:20

E46 M3 8:22

E92 335i 8:26

E39 M5 8:28

The M5 isn't that far off the pace tbh! :) And I wouldn't call 6 seconds 'running rings' ;)

Thats 1/2 a second a mile or two seconds a lap of most UK circuits which is night and day in terms of track times.

Also you can see what he potential of the chassis is with the CSL time..

I agree, not much in it in reality but the E46 is the quicker car, weight will always be the deciding factor between those two.

Yeah.. the CSL time is pretty staggering. I absolutely adore the E46 CSL... just such a good looking, and capable car.

Yeah.. the CSL time is pretty staggering. I absolutely adore the E46 CSL... just such a good looking, and capable car.

Want one, shame they still go for so much :lol:

The Ring isnt really indicative of UK driving either LOL ie smooth and fast :grin: M3 is much more suited to where i live in the Peak anyway. Admit its horses for courses though.

stop procrastinating and turbo that damn corrado fo yours. :)

2p.

haha, I'm rubbish at sticking with one plan! :lol:

Well the one thing on the corrado's appeal is the rarity factor, saw 3 E46 M3's on the way home this evening and I've not seen 1 corrado in 6 months of doing that route..... Plus one came past (and cut me up) at speed so I had a listen and wasn't that impressed by the noise. Hoping to get a run in it tomorrow but if I don't like it apparently it's off to auction as it's too old to go on our forecourt.

Nice motors, but I'd have an Alpina B3 over one any day of the week, as a package, its the better road car and nowhere near as common

I've had 2 M3's and 2 Alpinas (one Ive still got, though its an old E30) and though I liked the M3's, the Alpinas were somehow just a little bit more special

Just my own personal opinion, of course, but if I were to buy another E46, and Ive had 4, I'd have the Alpina

E46 M3s are fast becoming the chav car of choice unfortunatley. I know it's a great car etc but I hate the modern BMW 'image' and it's especially bad for the 3 series.

Hoping to get a run in it tomorrow but if I don't like it apparently it's off to auction as it's too old to go on our forecourt.

They sound awesome mate honest :D

If its going for £8k can I have it please LOL

Only from the inside. Very tinny from the outside. I have to agree that they are very capable car but they are getting into the wrong hands at the moment.

Nice motors, but I'd have an Alpina B3 over one any day of the week, as a package, its the better road car and nowhere near as common

I've had 2 M3's and 2 Alpinas (one Ive still got, though its an old E30) and though I liked the M3's, the Alpinas were somehow just a little bit more special

Just my own personal opinion, of course, but if I were to buy another E46, and Ive had 4, I'd have the Alpina

What do Alpina do to the engines on the B3 to get the gains?

Matt

They're bored, different cams, exhaust etc but not based on the M3 motor, they're based on the standard BMW 6

3.2 on the E36, 3.3 and 3.4 on the E46 (3.4 is the S)

thing is with the Alpinas is the ride, they have an amazing ability to make a car that handles that also is comfortable

Plus they're hand built :D

You don't get the power of the M3 but they're the non chav option, and in the real world they're isn't any difference

They're bored, different cams, exhaust etc but not based on the M3 motor, they're based on the standard BMW 6

3.2 on the E36, 3.3 and 3.4 on the E46 (3.4 is the S)

thing is with the Alpinas is the ride, they have an amazing ability to make a car that handles that also is comfortable

Plus they're hand built :D

You don't get the power of the M3 but they're the non chav option, and in the real world they're isn't any difference

I do like them :grin: The thing that puts me off though is the price when you dont get that M3 engine :norty:

Do you know anything about the supercharged AC Schnitzer cars?

A bit, had a schnitzer E46, but it wasnt supercharged

I'd really like a Schnitzer M3 E36 CLS. but they're rare as rocking horse poo :D

A bit, had a schnitzer E46, but it wasnt supercharged

I'd really like a Schnitzer M3 E36 CLS. but they're rare as rocking horse poo :D

LOL Yes that would be nice :grin:

Bit gutted I never bought the E30 M3 now instead of the Corrado. Well I am when I look at the current resale values :lol:

Matt

Tell me about it, sold my E30 M3 convertible in 2007 for £9.5 k, and now they'remaking top teens to twenty .. ah well, my E30 Alpina will be a good investment :D

I'm looking at getting a 325i for work, plus its 4 door so easier for my folks to get in and out in the back. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to check? I dont like teh image much either but it seems generally a capable car, and looks fairly businessish (is that a word???) without having to kit it all up. The one i've seen is silver (yawn, common colour) and black leather sports interior, with the MV2 rims. These need a refurb but its for about £5k on 73k miles.