kerrinmay

Labour to fit new sunroof cable assembly

Does anyone know how many hours labour I can expect a garage to charge to fit a new sunroof cable assembly?

It looks like a fiddly job that I'd rather not tackle myself, however considering that I'm looking at about £80 for the cable assembly this might get quite expensive having a garage fix it, so any idea on number of hours labour would be great to know.

With what seemed like a first taste of spring yesterday I'm keen to get my sunroof back in operation.

Hi - lots I'm afraid.... 5 hours plus?

All the upper trim needs to come out to remove the headlining, to do this carefully you are looking at a few hours plus then the cable change itself...

Apart from the trim, a complete sunroof swap is fairly easy - Have you thought about getting a moonroof from a passat and just swapping it over?

Once you can see it it's 10x 10mm bolt, 4 drain tubes and an electrical connection that need to be disconnected.

It will be expensive, last time I checked with VW they quoted £600+. You can do most of the work yourself by removing the entire sunroof unit and paying for someone to do the tricky part. I did the whole job myself and it's really not as bad as it sounds, plus you have the satisfaction when it fully works afterwards. You could also fit a Passat moonroof to save you the trouble. I have one if you are intersted?

It's some time since I did mine but I am fairly local if you get stuck.

Are the parts still available from VW..

Ian

I beliEve so. If you replace the lifters and other misc parts which have worn it will cost well in excess of £110 IIRC.

Thanks for the advice.

With regards to the cost of parts, I was quoted (from the dealers) £69.70 + VAT for the cable assembly just for one side. Should there be some kind of kit available that provides the parts for both sides? Any reference number/code etc would be appreciated so that I can ask for the right thing. This seems quite expensive just for the one side, and although only the left side had broken, I wouldn't really want to go to the trouble of fixing this only to have the right side break later on, so may as well do both.

I did consider a moonroof, but I really do prefer the body coloured metal sunroof, so unless it will be considerably less expensive (i.e. I can get a complete moonroof for say £100, then I think I'll aim to fix what I've got.

Thanks for the advice.

With regards to the cost of parts, I was quoted (from the dealers) £69.70 + VAT for the cable assembly just for one side. Should there be some kind of kit available that provides the parts for both sides? Any reference number/code etc would be appreciated so that I can ask for the right thing. This seems quite expensive just for the one side, and although only the left side had broken, I wouldn't really want to go to the trouble of fixing this only to have the right side break later on, so may as well do both.

I did consider a moonroof, but I really do prefer the body coloured metal sunroof, so unless it will be considerably less expensive (i.e. I can get a complete moonroof for say £100, then I think I'll aim to fix what I've got.

Slightly OT but I spotted you on the roundabout at the top of Commercial Rd this morning.

I have a complete moonroof, motor and loom available for £80 if you get stuck.

Thanks for the advice.

Slightly OT but I spotted you on the roundabout at the top of Commercial Rd this morning.

Cheers for the offer re: the moonroof. I'll get back to you on that if I decide to take that route.

Re: being spotted, were you in your C? I'm normally on the look-out but didn't notice you.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers for the offer re: the moonroof. I'll get back to you on that if I decide to take that route.

Re: being spotted, were you in your C? I'm normally on the look-out but didn't notice you.

No worries.

I was in the Polo GTI. The Corrado is wrapped up for the winter :)

Album - have you decided what you are going to do with your sunroof? I have the same problem and want to sort mine out but not sure on total cost, don't fancy doing it myself as I'm scared I might mess up.

It took me 3,5 hours to do all the job from beginning to finish.

If somebody is close to Aberdeen I can do this for You.

Emu it took you 3.5 hours? A garage quoted my 10 hours labour. I might have to drive up from London to Scotland :notworthy: :help:

Emu it took you 3.5 hours? A garage quoted my 10 hours labour. I might have to drive up from London to Scotland :notworthy: :help:

To be honest its about 30 minutes to replace all parts in sunroof (of course if You know how) if You don't it shouldn't take You more than 1 hour, rest of the time is getting sunroof of the car and putting it back.

Job done.

can anyone recall off the top of their heads if the cable is still available?