Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Turbo for 16V?

Looks like all the answers you need are there mate, plenty of turbo and intercooler parts at the scrappys these days, shame scrap yard prices seem to be rising tho.

hmmm well i dont want to buy one and it not work...although they do all look identical...need to do some research i guess, does anyone else have any ideas?

Has anyone done a turbo rebuild on here?

Im watching a couple on the 'bay but they need rebuilds:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250601922306&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200452900012&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

More interested in the top one

Please someone tell me if im being totally stupid :lol:

Mmm your giving me ideas now jason :)

Damnit, and here i was hoping you'd help me! lol What do you think though? Does it sound reasonable? I mean i dont see why they wouldn't work in theory...

suscribed 8)

it says that the 16v stock C.R. is okay for a +40cv increase. I'd be happy with a 25 or 30 anyway :norty:

the 'hardest' thing is chosing an engine management... Hosever, I found a golf mk1 using a turbo with k-jetronic fuel management :shock: but he never replied to my e-mails :brickwall: :brickwall:

Yeah, most parts are easy to source or can be sourced fairly easily im going to guess but as you say, better management is the hardest thing to sort out.

Most of the kits on Kinetic Motorsports seem to use the stock controller, they dont even mention the use of an aftermarket controller

I also read somewhere that injectors from a primera were a good choice to use... Ill try and find all this info and start posting it here....

Yeah, most parts are easy to source or can be sourced fairly easily im going to guess but as you say, better management is the hardest thing to sort out.

Most of the kits on Kinetic Motorsports seem to use the stock controller, they dont even mention the use of an aftermarket controller

I also read somewhere that injectors from a primera were a good choice to use... Ill try and find all this info and start posting it here....

I once showed interest for a KR turbo kit worked out of scrap yards, which was only missing the inlet manifold, and it did include the turbo... at a cost of 80& for the lot.... and the chap said that the kr injectors and the k-jet metering head was suitable for up to 200hp; neither was the compression though

I had been investigating on turboing a kr with oem fuel management and keeping oem block as well some time ago, and you will need a vaccum "retarded" (retarded? sorry can't think of a better word now!) distributor, and many other bits but this would be the hardest to find I think.

keeping k-jeet wouldn't be the best way to go, but it's easy to maintain and to know what is going wrong in there.... or at least easier than EFI in my opinion

have a look at Toyotec's turboed ABF on Club GTI,

seems like if it's a turbo 16v you are after the ABF block is the best and he seems to have a pretty good setup on Megasquirt. K-jet turbos were never great, especially on a 1.8 KR (Kev Hayward had a mk2), think you'll find they needed extra injectors and ECU to stop them running too lean and were pretty peaky.

For all the cost and hassle you can see why a 1.8T is such a common transplant, all easy to source, relatively cheap parts.

Having said that I'm sure a 2L ABF 16vT has much more character :D

seems like if it's a turbo 16v you are after the ABF block is the best and he seems to have a pretty good setup on Megasquirt. K-jet turbos were never great, especially on a 1.8 KR (Kev Hayward had a mk2), think you'll find they needed extra injectors and ECU to stop them running too lean and were pretty peaky.

For all the cost and hassle you can see why a 1.8T is such a common transplant, all easy to source, relatively cheap parts.

lol this is what im doing, 2.0l abf 16v, got t3 turbo, 440cc injectors and will be running it on mega squirt, trying to find out how much more bhp ill get :D

shouldn't think 250bhp will be much of a problem, 16v turbos can be built to run very high power, probably more than a 20VT as they can rev so high.

lol this is what im doing, 2.0l abf 16v, got t3 turbo, 440cc injectors and will be running it on mega squirt, trying to find out how much more bhp ill get :D

There's no magic formula.It depends on how much boost you run,and how much boost you run obviously depends on the strength and makeup of your engine so I am loathed to start quoting headline numbers.For 16vt VW's toyotecs build really is the best place to start looking.VEEDUBBED on here has built an monster of a 16v turbo too but i don't think his is conventional.It's well engineered without being over engineered,if indeed you can ever over engineer something.

it looks very similar yes.... but I cant say it for sure...

are you really going to do it!?¿¿ what about the distributor???

it looks very similar yes.... but I cant say it for sure...

are you really going to do it!?¿¿ what about the distributor???

Haha it doesnt seem 'that' hard, theres quite a bit to read over at clubgti and vwvortex and im going to slowly accumulate parts.

Naively why would the dizzy be an issue? (probably a stupid question and one, that if i cannot answer i shouldn't even try :lol: but ive probably not read that far yet)

If that kit deffo fitted i would be very tempted :) you buy it first jason :)

Haha not at £620 im not going first :lol: I think i could probably source parts cheaper and upgrade as i go along but as krnau said, the exhaust manifold looks almost identical to the saab one i posted first

If that kit deffo fitted i would be very tempted :) you buy it first jason :)

Haha not at £620 im not going first :lol: I think i could probably source parts cheaper and upgrade as i go along but as krnau said, the exhaust manifold looks almost identical to the saab one i posted first

i've seen kr / 9a / abf exhaust manifolds ready for turbo go for 150€ on egay... I wouldn't risk to get the saab one personally..

K-jet turbos were never great, especially on a 1.8 KR (Kev Hayward had a mk2), think you'll find they needed extra injectors and ECU to stop them running too lean and were pretty peaky.

The original Turbo Technics 16V Turbos weren't that great. Many of them spent their entire life pinking as the extra boost fuelling came from the cold start injector, which was a bit hit and miss. That was the 80s though and standalone management didn't even exist. Still, for all it's crudeness, it made 190hp, which is still considered good for a 1.8 Turbo today.

Stealth Racing bought up the remaining kits and refined them with a rail of additional injectors (VR6) controlled by K-Star. The revised setups were far from peaky. Full boost by 3500rpm (with a Garrett T25), which gave the normally thin feeling 16V engine a really muscular VR6 feel and because it ran the stock K Jet off boost, it was as silky smooth and reliable as the nasp engine.

I don't think even now I would use a standalone, unless pushing for big boost. The way Stealth set it up felt like the car had come out of the factory like that, it was absolutely spot on. I miss mine actually, but it's still around on Club GTI somewhere I think.

hmmm, im still not going to totally bin this idea, plently of people have done it, albeit with probably a bigger budget and slightly different cars but i will research more and slowly just collect the right parts.

Will keep a strong focus on lions valver, if he can do it then will use him as a guide and for inspiration