Sign in to follow this  
pebisit

Help 288 fitment

Just fitted some later 288's (Lucas) to my Storm, but having problems with the wheel seizing as a result. Back off the Carrier and wheel bolts and its all good.

Noticed on the 312 upgrade thread that they need 6mm spacers for the carriers. Do you need these for the 288s too, as that would explain the issue??

Cheers

Phil

It may be the case that you need to space out the carrier, I've recently acquired a set of 288's from an 08 Ibiza, and according to reputable sources, the carriers need spacing to the same amount as the 312's...

Can't confirm this though, as I'm waiting on the spacers, so I can crack on with the fitting.

What car did your setup come from?

Cheers, So that'll be 6mm spacers and spring washers then??

Not sure on the exact amount of spacing mate, i THINK its 6mm though....

288's should be a direct fit onto a VR mate, no need for spacers.

Did you replace all the bolts at the same time? Could be wrong length bolts maybe?

edit - just re-read the first post. What did your 288's come off?

Yeah direct fit the 288mm's from a late mk3 vr6/gti they are made by ATE though Lucas must be off another varient post up some pics and we should be able to determine what they are??

The calipers should be ate, and from the late golfs only to get away without using spacers. I thought i needed spacers when i came to fitting mine but it turned out i had been given the wrong discs, the later ones,still 288 5x100pcd but are about 5mm taller than the earlier ones,hence the need for spacers.

Definately Lucas, kevhaywire said that the later ones are Lucas, change in manufacturer I guess

I gave DG Autotech a ring, and they reckon Fabia ones need the spacers, may have to change the backplate too. Might just shove the DG plates behind them, only problem with that is I cant put 15s back on .. doh

what discs have you got for them mate? is it the ibiza carriers that are a different offset or are the ibiza discs a different offset?

for example, I used a set of Lucas callipers from a Golf VR6 and a set of 288's discs from a late mk3 golf gti and I'm still running standard Corrado VR wheels.

The discs, carriers and calipers are all off a Fabia VRS. Im guessing there the same as Ibiza ones?? Maybe the discs are wrong??

Is it just a case of fitting 288mm discs and corresponding pads then? Anyone recommend some decent drilled vented discs?