Sign in to follow this  
nigwell

Mitsubishi FTO?

Hi

Just wondering if anybodys been up against a Mitsubishi FTO V6 before? as there is one down the road from me and i wondered what sort of BHP they run?

cheers

nigwell

Well I know they are a two litre V6... but 180-200BHP as standard!

So it might give a VR6 a bit of hassle!

IIRC very few of them are manuals bulk of em are tiptronic type boxes......i actually think they're quite a nice looking Jap-coupe :wink: ........

Think they're a quicker on the sprint acceleration due to the quicker gearchanges.. but the VR top end is slightly higher (assuming they've been derestricted...otherwise you shoot past them at 112mph)

In terms of official figures, I think the FTO 0-60 is 0.2-0.3 of second quicker, whilst top speed VR wins by 2-4 mph... but then those are just official figures.. which is why I think the FTO will beat you on the 0-60 since the average driver will be able to change gear alot quicker in the FTO

197bhp for the FTO, acceleration and top end are very similar to the VR but the VR has more torque. Evo magazine have the exact figures but they give it 2 out 5, the Corrado VR6 gets 5 out of 5 and they timed it at 6.2 secs to 60 and 146 Vmax....enough said.

K

If it's an import, there's 2 different spec's for the FTO 2.0 V6... The normal spec is 197, the limited spec one (like my friend has just bought) is around 208bhp, revs to nearly 9K, 0-60 in around 5.8 and top end of 148... :? I've not had a play in her car yet (I'll wait until the weather's a bit better! :wink: ) but it's VERY quick! The difference is to do with the weight and slight fettling with the engine... there's absolutely NO sound proofing in the limited version... :? :twisted:

I was seriously looking at getting one of these before I bought my G60 as I've always liked them, but I still think the 'rado wins on looks, and if you think 'rado parts are expensive, think again! :shock: :roll: :lol:

assuming they've been derestricted...otherwise you shoot past them at 112mph

I can relate to that! i had some jumped up asian guy, in his fast and furious wannabe FTO with the neons and the works trying to race me when i had my rover coupe (turbo) and he thought his car fast i gave him an ass whopping and left his car standing as i reached around 125mph (private road of course) :D

I had a quick blat against an FTO a couple of months ago off some traffic lights on a big roundabout/junction. It pulled off slightly quicker than me, but at about 3500 I started pulling past it. Unfortunately, next set of traffic lights were red and didn't have much time between the two. May not have been a v6 one mind.

I have to admit that I have always been tempted by an FTO. Its the only other car that I search for on autotrader regularly, exept for vw's, porsches, lambos, etc :lol:

Think all FTO's are 2.0 V6... just the tuning/version of the engine that varies..

Nope, they also do a 1.8 V6... :? very revvy, reasonably quick acceleration, but tops out at about 120mph! :? The 1.8 engines also suffer badly from wear from what I've heard...

A selection from the car park at work:

mate's M reg JDM FTO GPX mivec

mate's L Reg JDM Prelude VTEC (as unleashed at the Dubsport RR day :-) )

My N reg Corrado 8-)

It's an early 90's coupe club...

Keep meaning to organise a departmental track day... :-)

I raced one when I'd just had the 2.8 VR6 put in my mk2. it was funny as f*ck because it still hadn't been painted and there was patches of primer all over the car sp the owner of this spangly FTO didn't know what hit hit!. I hammered him! it was a MIVEC one too. Poxy thing had just been imported, it was limited to 120mph so I left him for dead.

esy meat

AFAIK...2.0 are 24v V6's they are called MIVEC, and the 1.8s are 16V's

Mazda have the 1.8 V6

time to take off my anorak, me thinks!

I had a FTO.

There are 3 types main types:

GS 1800cc not V6

GR 2000cc V6 (I had this one)

GPX 2000cc V6 (variable valve timing)

You can also get a GP (it might be GX, cannot remember) which is stripped out for weight saving.

The tiptroic box is great for a month or so but then I craved for a manual box again. As for performance the V6 go pretty well but I don't think they would keep up a modded G60 :wink:

The MIVEC means Mitsubishi Variable Electronic Cam timing

My VR easily beat it but it did have a charger on but i felt that it would have beaten it regardless!

Here's the FTO MIVEC i had, I did enjoy driving it and it was good on fuel plus it did look nice and this version has harder suspension as standard plus it has a different body than the others and ridges in the roof that offer additional stiffness! Bet ya didn't know that! :wink:

If anyone wants one then just let me know!

Chris

The MIVEC is really cool, when it kicks in at around 5500RPM

some wanker pulled out on me and my little baby was lost.

I really did like it but it did feeel really light and did tramline.

The C is so much more refined and solid